Eliptical? Thoughts

Options
FitRodr
FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
I'm looking to buy an eliptical (sp?) machine. My doc says for me this is a much better choice than the treadmil. I don't want to spend a lot and am not sure what I should be looking for in the machine. I thought I'd check out Craig's List?

Any thoughts? Ideas? Opinions?

Replies

• jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    We recently bought a Sole E55 elliptical. We like it a lot. Paid around $1500 for it brand new. If I had my way and could have afforded it, I would have bought a better...something a little closer to club grade. But, this one is good.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i had a golds gym one that i got from walmart...i dont remember how much it was...but i ended up selling it on craigslist....i cant stay motivated at home...i ended up buying a gym membership. the gym has child care in it, so i get my workout in and a couple hours of time to myself. The time i get to myself is worth it to me :wink:
  • jdubya
    jdubya Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I spent about $1300 on one that was new. Unfortunately, I have to tighten the screws after every workout. It's an expensive clothes hanger now. My opinion, you would be better off with a gym membership if you can do it.
  • OperaticAnnihilator
    Options
    Whatever you do, dont buy one that has a stationary bike integrated with it. We bought one and I hate it. When I think elliptical I think of long strides and with ours there is no such thing as long strides. It is more like riding a bike while standing up.
  • circadianswing
    circadianswing Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was and still am a huge fan of ellipticals, but I found an even better cardio machine, which puts less stress on my joints and gets my heart rate where I need it. I purchased a recumbent exercise bike, the Schwinn 220 last thanksgiving. I started at 235lbs, and it doesn't squeak, it's a smooth movement, and it's a solid bike. I highly recommend it, as I've had expensive ellipticals in the past, and I have been more able to stick with this type of exercise. Great for watching TV or reading a magazine while doing your daily routine!

It also takes up a lot less space, and it MUCH cheaper!
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I have a pro form one from Sports Authority. Got it on sale for like $350 - $375. It does the job! I couldn't spend the big bucks on it and all the other machines have options that are just extra. Mine works me out...what more do you need?
  • FitRodr
    Options
    That sounds interesting... I am going to check it out. Thanks
  • gdbrindley
    Options
    I have a Schwinn 430 Elliptical that I purchased about 3 years ago. I think I paid about $500 for it. Do the research on them before you buy and decided exactly what you want on it like adjustable incline, adjustable resistance, upper body option, heart monitor, recovery option, etc. Whatever you buy make sure that you try it out before you buy it. I did try out a lot of them before I bought this one. I, like you did not want to spend a whole lot of money on one, (the one that I really wanted was about $1,200), however the most important thing is that you feel comfortable on it. Some of the cheaper ones offer only a 14" Stride Length with is too short for an average person. Look for about a 21" Stride. Like everything else you get what you pay for, and the more you spend, the more bells and whistles you get, but the most important thing is that you feel comfortable on it, because if your not comfortable on it then you won't use it. Ours gets used a lot....I personally use it 6 times a week.....35 minutes each day......Good Luck!
  • itsbigs
    itsbigs Posts: 4
    Options
    I'd recommend not going low budget on this type of machine. You really get what you pay for. I bought my first elliptical many years ago and I to didn't want to spend much for it. The unit broke with a few months. You must figure that you will use this piece of equipment 3-4 times a week for 40-60 minutes at a time. Cheaper units are cheaper because they are not using thicker tube steel to form the bodies. They often have many cheap plastic parts. With this much use, they simply wear out and break fast than what you think they should have. My last elliptical I bought has lasted me over three years. It's just below a club grade machine. Just this year the electronics have gone out. The mechanicals still work. I think I paid $700 three years ago. If your lucky you'll have a Play It Again Sports or something like that near you. For me, they were very easy to work with when I bought my last elliptical. Again, you really get what you pay for with ellipticals. Going low budget can end up costing you more in the long run!
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I love my Gold's Gym model from Walmart. It works just as well, if not better than, the Proform model I had and sold before I moved a couple of years ago and it was half the cost.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Have you used one before? I would suggest buying a machine that you really enjoy using. I bought a tread mill years ago and it gets a lot of use during the days I don't go to the gym and during inclement weather. I will use an eliptical, but do prefer the treadmill and thus my reason for buying it over the eliptical.
  • 10swampdonkey
    Options
    I just ordered this one. Will be here soon. It was on sale, but I think it ends soon.
    http://www.allellipticals.com/smooth-agile-dmt-x2-elliptical-trainer.html
    No matter what you get, read up on them. This site is worth exploring. You do get what you pay for, as others here have said.
    I have knee problems, and have never used one before. I hope it works for me.
    The list of 8 features to compare is very enlightening. I did have a different one picked out, and the list changed my mind.
  • Georgie_P
    Georgie_P Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm of the theory if its in the house a lot of times you convince yourself there is something else to do - laundry, kids, you get the idea...

If you can swing an ellipical go to 24 hour fitness or golds and get a gym membership instead - its more motivating to be there with other people working out than in a room with maybe a tv on -

good luck
  • 10swampdonkey
    Options
    I was just a Costco. They had one on sale there. I climbed on and gave it a spin. Did not hurt my knees(very sore today for some reason)- bonus. I had to notice though, the display model was already squeaky. Hmmm. The one I ordered claims to be high quality, with quiet operation. We will see. Can't wait for it now tho'.
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have one and use it quite a bit. It's good to have a piece of cardio equipment in the house so you can squeeze in a workout even if you can't make it to the gym or is too hot (or cold, depending where you are) to workout outside. I still think a treadmill is a better workout. The elliptical always shows me as burning more calories, but the treadmill is much more challenging.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just purchased one for $75 off craigslist and its a nice one. Its the Golds Gym stridetrainer 380. I lucked out. The owners are an older couple and they are relocating.

If you buy one off craigslist researched it thoroughly so you won't pay too much and also so you can know of any problem people are experiencing with that model. Also test it out. Don't let them rush you. Make sure everything works and don't frizzle out in a few minutes. Just the body for cracks as well.
  • FitRodr
    Options
    Thanks all. I am not able to do a treadmil and it was always my favorite, that and walking out doors when the weather is good. The doctor suggested the eliptical or a stationary bike with good back support. So, I've been looking at both. Going to go to the local gym and see if I can try theirs and decide if I like it or can do it at all. Exercise is real limited so I'm trying to add a little each day. Paying for a gym would not be practical right now because I won't spend very much time there. I hope to be able to at some point.

I appreciate your thoughts. You've given me a good place to start.
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the "Treadclimber"? It's a machine that is a combination of the elleptical and a treadmill. I bought mine on Craig's List and I love it.... easy on the knees and the back. I just had back surgery last month and I'm already back on the Treadclimber....
  • SDLester
    SDLester Posts: 24
    Options
    www.sellout.woot.com has a nice one on their daily deal today for $1199.99 with only 5.00 for their normal shipping charges. Will be there until midnight tonight unless it sells out