Beginning excercise and an aching back!

Options
Just wondering if any of you have any excercise suggestions for someone who is 280 and needs to find a low impact beginning excercise regime? I also have had surgery on my back and although I have no limitations on me by my doctors I do have a lot of pain if I stand on my feet too long. Would love to walk but the pain is excruciating. Until I lose some weight walking is kind of out. Help!

Replies

• scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Anything in the water. Swimming or water aerobics are good choices.

Also, working in a stretching routine should help as well.
  • yukifer
    yukifer Posts: 41
    Options
    You could try a recumbent bike.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    how about a bike that you sit down in a seat and the pedels are in frount of you
    You could try a recumbent bike.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    My guess is you have a weak back and your weight is straining your back muscles. I would say also incorporate some back exercises to help strengthen your back muscles. I have done some of these due to sitting in a bad office chair all day and it does wonders! The simplest one is the following:

Lay face down on the floor. Try to lift your upper body off the floor as much as you can and hold it for as long as you can.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yoga can help, so can wearing a back brace. You might also see about physical therapy to get some stretches and exercises that will strengthen your back.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    water exercises would be the best. a gazelle using no resistance would be good also. no impact.
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    We do have a pool in the apt complex I live in but its closed until the late spring. Strengthenign my back muscles seems to be the best option right now. I have lost a lot of weight in the past by walking, I worked through the pain then but that was almost 10 years ago and pre surgery AND pre baby. So it hurts a hell of a lot more now. I cant wait to incorporate the swimming though. I love to swim!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart and Walgreens and likely other places sell a set of freestanding pedals, like bicycle pedals that you can sit in your chair and use to pedal like a bicycle. Non-weightbearing, under $50 and a way to get started.