Tip for the people who has sedentary job!

Options
Hey everyone,
Use an exercise ball as your chair...I have a desk job too, with not a lot of moving about. so I was reading this article the other day and it says Ball not only helps you with the sitting posture (as you can't really slouch), better spine alignment but also burns about 350 calories( You may not burn quite 350, but still it will help you stay fit.)...and it works on your core muscles that mid section which we all hate...and its kina fun.
After reading the article I have got one ball in my cube too :happy:

Replies

• crazymama2two
    Options
    this is totally me. i need one of those...and why do you burn those calories, did the article say? is it from tyring not to fall over? :)
  • Akeddie
    Akeddie Posts: 18
    Options
    Our safety people won't let us have balls in our office :(
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I sat on one of those while I was just watching tv one day...totally felt it in the abs when I got up....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    this is totally me. i need one of those...and why do you burn those calories, did the article say? is it from tyring not to fall over? :)

It burns cals because you have to keep your core flexed in order to sit up straight, and not to move from side to side and fall off.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    A stability ball is one of the best chairs you can sit on because it forces you to work your core when you don't even realize you're doing it. I'd love to be able to use mine as a chair but I have three cats (they have all their claws) and am doubtful it would be a wise choice. Of course I could just lock my cats out of the office - hmmmmm. Just might work lol!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I use one at home. When playing my superhero based MMORPG it can get exciting. LOL.

I can just imagine the looks I'd get if I tried it at work though. I'm the office support at a welding shop.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    My old high school got stability balls as replacement chairs for the health classroom :happy: If only they could have done that when I went there... It's genius.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    my desk would be too high for one of those....I'm short...I like a tall chair....and I'm not the only one who uses my desk so I wouldn't have a place to put the ball at the end of the day...
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sounds intersting!! im getting one for home :)
  • LRamsey6
    LRamsey6 Posts: 3
    Options
    What a great idea -- I'd totally love to do that, but I don't think my work would allow the ball as my chair :ohwell:

I guess I should do some leg lifts or something while I sit here then, huh :happy:
  • Shedcrazy
    Options
    I'm going to go steal my coworkers who is on sabbatical. He wont mind. This is a good idea
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I would love to try one but not sure which ball, if any, will support my weight and short stature without bursting...
  • krsaxton
    krsaxton Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use one and love it! I didn't realize it burned that many calories. :)
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    hmm I may need to bring mine in then! Does it burn enough calories that I should wear my Polar watch if sitting on it the whole time at work? How would I log it?

Just curious...
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you can't use a stability ball as a chair at your desk, you should use one at home when you watch TV or sit at the dinner table. I once had a trainer who said she wished people would get rid of their couches and recliners and replace them with stability balls.
  • alba_merula
    alba_merula Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    *slaps her forehead*

I felt seriously guilty for not setting "sedentary is an euphemism" mode, and that ball was watching me all those weeks since I'm here! Hugs and thanks a heap for the reminder -- this is EXACTLY what I needed! :-D
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I use mine at home when I feel like zoning out in front of the TV. There are tons of exercises you can do with it (legs, arms, core). Me, I like to bounce on it....toning for the legs and core and a mild cardio workout. Makes me feel not as guilty when i skip working out for a cheesy reality program :wink:

oh and its great to pull out and entertain my two year old with when she's going stir crazy from it being too cold to play outside!
  • Yemaya1129
    Options
    I would love to try one but not sure which ball, if any, will support my weight and short stature without bursting...

The weight limit on the balls depends on the activity it's being used for, but many can handle over 300 lbs...especially if you're just planning on sitting on it. (As you might have guessed, activities that involve bouncing, etc, put more strain on the ball.) Spri Products are a little more expensive than some, but they make a nice stability ball and I've found that their people are helpful and non-judgmental. Their webpage is www.spriproducts.com. Note: I do not work for this company.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    They also have like "frames" you can put the stability ball in it to still give you the good effects but make it taller.

http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Balance-Ball-Chair-Black/dp/B0007VB4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299791737&sr=8-1