Potassium, Calcium and Iron

Options
I am having difficulty right now getting enough of the aforementioned nutrients. I am on day three of no dairy products (whatsoever) so I really don't have a fantastic grasp on non dairy sources for calcium. (FYI I am going non dairy for the month to see if my son has a dairy sensitivity. I'm breastfeeding.) I really don't want to have to take any supplements if I can help it. I figure I can probably eat more red meat and nuts but other than that I am kind of at a loss... I can only guess I have always been bad at getting these as it is, and just never knew it because I never kept track? I did have kidney stones during my first pregnancy so maybe it was lack of potassium that helped contribute? Anyway... Thanks for any help : )

Replies

• crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I usually have a serving of dry Total cereal in the morning and it has alot of vitamins added. I was also very pleasantly surprised to find how much calcium was in blackberries. Green veggies like spinach & kale are also good non-dairy sources of calcium.

Good luck.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Dark leafy greens are the way to go for all three nutrients. Pretty much any source you pick (broccoli, chard, kale, spinach, brussel sprouts) will give you an excellent boost of calcium, potassium, and Iron. If you pair it with beans (kidney, navy, pinto, etc), you’ll be doing even better. Baked potatoes with skin are great for potassium, but not much else. Dried fruits and seafood are excellent for iron. And drinking orange juice with an iron-rich food makes it easier to absorb the nutrient.