Packable, non-perishable, non-breakable snack food...

Options
I've got a challenge... I am going on a long trip to Thailand and one of my biggest fears is not having enough snack food to eat every 2-3 hours (I am used to eating 6-8 times a day), and I want to make SURE that I am not STARVING in between meals or else I will binge for sure!!! It's bad enough that I will be eating delicious thai noodles and rice for dinner every night!! I'm going to be doing a lot of hiking/trekking/climbing so portability is huge.

Any ideas of portable, packable, non-perishable snacks to bring with me? Nothing that can melt or break - so crackers/chocolate granolas/veggies are out. They need to be small enough that I will be able to somehow fit them in my one backpack that I am taking with me.... and if they are low-cal, that would be even BETTER! :happy:

So far all I've been able to come up with is Nature Valley granola bars... Any help?

Replies

• cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    almonds! Not very "low-cal" but really good for you and filling
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit
    nuts
    granola/cereal bars
    wasabi peas (love those)
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If sodium isn't a big concern, any kind of jerky.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Oohh, great topic. I will be going to the Philippines next year, so I will have to keep my eye on this post. Im definitely a 'plan way ahead' kind of gal ;)
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas :)

Any idea where I get dried fruit from? and what kinds taste the best?

Or cereal/granola bars that taste delicious but don't have melty ingredients?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It'd try Lara Bars - they're made of fruit and nuts - pretty simple, clean and very tasty. About 200 calories each. They do have a few types with chocolate in them, and a few have coconut oil, but most of them are all fruit/nuts (I think a few new flavors have some veggies (like carrot) added too). http://www.larabar.com/products
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It'd try Lara Bars - they're made of fruit and nuts - pretty simple, clean and very tasty. About 200 calories each. They do have a few types with chocolate in them, and a few have coconut oil, but most of them are all fruit/nuts (I think a few new flavors have some veggies (like carrot) added too). http://www.larabar.com/products

or cliff bars...
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    WOW Lara bars look DELICIOUS!!!! But I am in Canada and I don't think they ship here... and I don't know if I'll get them in 5 days :)