Calories Burned monitor needed

ShaunaLynne800
ShaunaLynne800 Posts: 3
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I have no idea how many calories I am burning, and I try to go off what the website guesstimates, (I can't spell) but I would really like a more accurate number. I bought one of those watches that is supposed to tell you, and I spent 50 mins on the elliptical, and it told me I only burned 60 calories. I'm sorry, that just didn't seem right. The watch was about $44, and I would realy prefer to stay around that price rage. Does anyone know of something that reads it better so I'm not over, or under-estimating my calories burned? Thanks for all your help!
~ShaunaLynne~

Replies

• Hinto
    Hinto Posts: 52
    Well, it's worth investing in a Heart Rate Monitor. I have a Polar F5 and it works fine. The estimates in MFP and the estimates from the machines in the gym aren't that great. At least with a HRM, you can get a good feel for what a good workout is for you, and get a consistent measurement regardless of the activity you're doing.

Is the watch you have an actual HRM? Does it have a chest strap? If not, then you might want to look into that.

Good luck!
  • jscimeca
    jscimeca Posts: 66
    How often during the workout do you check your heart rate? Checking your heart rate more during your workouts makes the calorie counter more accurate. I had the same problem as you, I'd be working my butt off and the watch said like 80 calories burned... I figured there was no way that was possible. I went back to the manual for the watch and it said to keep checking your heart rate during the workout. Maybe this only works for the type of watch I have, I'm not sure.
  • consford
    consford Posts: 2
    Not sure if you have one of the newer smart phones or not. But, if you have a iPhone or Android OS phone then I recommend a blue tooth HRM. I have one by Zephyr. It connects to my phone, uses my phone's GPS and I stream music with it. So I get my heart rate average, speed, distance, calories burned, route I took on a map, all while listening to music. :) Just a suggestion.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Spend the money on a good HRM. You can get away with a Polar at around $80. It's a good investment like good running shoes.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    I have a Bodybugg and it's great at keeping track.
  • Not sure if you have one of the newer smart phones or not. But, if you have a iPhone or Android OS phone then I recommend a blue tooth HRM. I have one by Zephyr. It connects to my phone, uses my phone's GPS and I stream music with it. So I get my heart rate average, speed, distance, calories burned, route I took on a map, all while listening to music. :) Just a suggestion.
    [/quote

I have an Androis phone. How much does the blue tooth cost. My husband and I are both in school, have 2 little kids, and a mortgage, so to say the leastI just don't have loads of cash flying around, but I want to be healthy. I just bought a Heart Rate Monitor watch off amazon, but I don't know if it will do it or not. Is there a brand that I should be looking for?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.