Is my weight loss healthy?

Options
Hi all,

I have been over weight since my school days and have never really lost weight inspite of enrolling myself in a gym inumerable times but not going on a diet. However this time I have done the opposite - I am maintaining a strict <1200kcal/day diet. I have a moderately active lifestyle but haven't been able to make time for exercise - not even walks. I have lost 7 lb since I began my diet 24 days ago. Is this normal and alrignt? Am I worrying unnecessarily since I've never actually seen myself lose weight before this? :D

70568.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• hoysal
    hoysal Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi all,

I have been over weight since my school days and have never really lost weight inspite of enrolling myself in a gym inumerable times but not going on a diet. However this time I have done the opposite - I am maintaining a strict <1200kcal/day diet. I have a moderately active lifestyle but haven't been able to make time for exercise - not even walks. I have lost 7 lb since I began my diet 24 days ago. Is this normal and alrignt? Am I worrying unnecessarily since I've never actually seen myself lose weight before this? :D

70568.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If I understand correctly you've been doing the 1200 for almost 3 1/2 weeks and at 2 lbs a week that is 7 lbs so to me you're right on track.

Keep up the good job :drinker:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Well, I started here in Jan....according to MFP I was told to stick to a 1200 cal diet
    I thought that was too strict/severe for me...so I initially started with by adhering to a 1400 cal a day plan
    I didn't work out and lost weight....I am a SAHM to a 3 and 4 yr old, never sit down and am not a fan of the gym
    Ironically enough after a few months of the weight coming off, I felt inclined to jump on the treadmill we've had for years in the family room
    I now walk 30-45minutes EVERY day and have increased my cals to 1700-1900 to maintain my 27 pound weight lose

Personally eating only 1200 cals seems strict to me....doesn't sit well with me
    I would consider trying to get in some exc a few times per week and increase your cals by 100-200 per day
    It's great to loose weight quickly but u want to maintain it as well
    GOOD LUCK!
  • hoysal
    Options
    If I understand correctly you've been doing the 1200 for almost 3 1/2 weeks and at 2 lbs a week that is 7 lbs so to me you're right on track.

Keep up the good job :drinker:

Hey Thanks! U have a great pic on ur Ticker! which onez u?
  • tpdance
    tpdance Posts: 21
    Options
    the loss is ok. But never take in less than 1200 cal, no woman no matter size or age should take in less than 1200 cal otherwise u r starving yourself. And that means fat will stay on your body. I would maybe check and compare some other websites for some good ideas on calorie range for you to lose 1-2lbs per week. Your loss if fine, but the <1200cal/day is not too good. Unless u are only a 100-110lb woman trying to lose weight, which shouldn't be needed. Good luck!
  • hoysal
    Options
    Hi

Well, I started here in Jan....according to MFP I was told to stick to a 1200 cal diet
    I thought that was too strict/severe for me...so I initially started with by adhering to a 1400 cal a day plan
    I didn't work out and lost weight....I am a SAHM to a 3 and 4 yr old, never sit down and am not a fan of the gym
    Ironically enough after a few months of the weight coming off, I felt inclined to jump on the treadmill we've had for years in the family room
    I now walk 30-45minutes EVERY day and have increased my cals to 1700-1900 to maintain my 27 pound weight lose

Personally eating only 1200 cals seems strict to me....doesn't sit well with me
    I would consider trying to get in some exc a few times per week and increase your cals by 100-200 per day
    It's great to loose weight quickly but u want to maintain it as well
    GOOD LUCK!

Thanks a lot! I think you are right on the 1200kcal bit - but being a veggie, i do not have to worry about fat in meat, etc. It is just my sweet tooth which make life miserable... But I am managing with Maltesers and Hersheys kisses - which was again suggested by pals on MFP.

U seem to be doing and are looking great! Keep having fun!
  • hoysal
    Options
    the loss is ok. But never take in less than 1200 cal, no woman no matter size or age should take in less than 1200 cal otherwise u r starving yourself. And that means fat will stay on your body. I would maybe check and compare some other websites for some good ideas on calorie range for you to lose 1-2lbs per week. Your loss if fine, but the <1200cal/day is not too good. Unless u are only a 100-110lb woman trying to lose weight, which shouldn't be needed. Good luck!

Hey thanks but honestly Im slightly worried now - the 1200 mark came up on MFP so I am sticking to it blindly. In fact I do feel like I am starving especially during the lunch to dinner interval. Even the fruits seem to have 70 - 100 kcal.... :( I guess I will try to sneak a 30min walk atleast 3-4 times a week and increase my cal intake by 100-200... (sigh)
  • timragan
    timragan Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've been working an 800 calorie per day program since March 3 and have dropped 100 pounds. It can be done though it is not the common approach.

As far as health is concerned I've stopped taking 5 of the 7 daily medications I've been on since at least 2003 and reduced my Diabetes medication significantly. I now exercise 5-6 days weekly and my energy level is way up.

I don't intend to stay on this strict regimen for longer than another 45 days and will then increase my calorie intake to 1500-1800 and see what happens.

The unfortunate nature of the low cal approach is that I have to be really careful about the amount of exercise I do or my systems go into starvation mode and I don't lose.

As I said this approach is not for everyone. It has worked pretty well for me.

Best of luck to you and stay at it no matter how you chose to proceed.
  • hoysal
    Options
    Hi

I've been working an 800 calorie per day program since March 3 and have dropped 100 pounds. It can be done though it is not the common approach.

As far as health is concerned I've stopped taking 5 of the 7 daily medications I've been on since at least 2003 and reduced my Diabetes medication significantly. I now exercise 5-6 days weekly and my energy level is way up.

I don't intend to stay on this strict regimen for longer than another 45 days and will then increase my calorie intake to 1500-1800 and see what happens.

The unfortunate nature of the low cal approach is that I have to be really careful about the amount of exercise I do or my systems go into starvation mode and I don't lose.

As I said this approach is not for everyone. It has worked pretty well for me.

Best of luck to you and stay at it no matter how you chose to proceed.

Hi Thanks a ton! I must say ur story is simply inspiring! Congratulations on all the success you have had and for the once to come! :)
  • timragan
    timragan Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to anything I can do to help. I have been on the wrong end of this struggle for most of my life and I am determined that the changes I am making now are permanent. I also realize that I will NEVER be able to eat or drink without specific knowledge of how it affects my body. I no longer very this with anger or jealousy over the perennially skinny people. Its just how I my body works and I am responsible for what goes in and how I move.

I will eat mexican food and drink bloody mary's again.... just not today. Probably won't do it tomorrow either but someday, in moderation.

Cheers to you.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Just a note that if you do some exercise to eat more calories, you're not actually eating more calories. If you work out to the tune of 200 cals and eat 200 cals you're still getting 1200. You've only replaced the deficit that basically brought you to 1000 by doing some exercise. But exercise makes your whole system more efficient AND since you'll build some muscle mass you'll be burning more calories just by sitting around. SO, try adding a little bit of exercise AND add an extra 100 calories ABOVE what you've "earned back" though working out. But as long as you're NOT getting fewer than 1200 cals a day you *should* be okay. Maybe even 1250 if you're concerned.

Good job so far!
  • hoysal
    Options
    Thanks Minnie.. I should must and will try to walk for atleast 1/2 hour - atleast in these summer months N then I can coax my husband for a treadmill for the colder days :D
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    great plan :wink: It's all about finding out what works for you!
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    All are grandkids :wink: