New And In Need Of Friends

Options
Hi! My name is Rebecca and I've been using MFP for about 3 weeks now. A friend told me about this site and how easy it is to log your food and exercise and I'm loving it so far. I have only lost 3 pounds but I figure it's a start. I'm looking for some more people to help with the motivation and support aspect. I tend to snack alot and I can't seem to shake the habbit, although drinking water is helping. Any ideas?

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome. well done on the 3lbs weight loss!

have you tried snacking on low calorie foods such as rice cakes, carrot sticks, celery sticks etc. I dont tend to snack much at work. weekends i tend to struggle with lol!

feel free to add me as a friend
  • deal4321
    deal4321 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try to do find something to occupy my time/mind so I won't think about wanting to snack. If that doesn't work for me then I tell myself in 15mins I can have a snack. When 15mins is up I tell myself I can have it in 15 more mins. Ya might hafta start out with 5mins but it will work and help ya gain willpower. :-)
  • finafilms
    finafilms Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi Rebecca,

Feel free to add me! I am with you on the snacking thing. For me what helps is to break things down to 5-6 meals - so smaller meals than normal and more frequent. Keeps my metabolism up, feel better through out the day and I don't snack as much. Sugar-free gum also works as a small treat - sometimes its just the chewing that you may be after. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • rhayesNH
    rhayesNH Posts: 12
    Options
    That is one of my problems too. The water helps, but more so, for me, is just trying to stay busy. It is hard, especially when my stomach starts grumbling. I figure once the weather gets nice I can just go for a walk around the block when I get the urge to snack, but until then... busy hands! (and water, and gum!)
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on your 3 pounds lost! I'm a big snacker too, but stocking up on low-calorie snacks helps alot. I love fruit, especially in nonfat greek yogurt, and I've recently discovered Special K Cracker Chips for when I have a salty craving.

Feel free to friend me, I'm always looking for friends to encourage :)
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I love snacking, but now I just try to snack on healthy snacks. If you're tired of snacking on fruits and veggies there are other options! Some of my favs are Yumnuts (I love the toasted coconut cashews, but they have other flavors. They're 170 cals/.25 cup - good for desert!), Stretch Island Fruit Co. Fruit Strips (variety of flavors and only 45 cals each!), and Anne's Soy Energy Blend (a good choice to keep you energized and feeling full longer - 150/.25 cup).

Snacking can definitely overthrow your calories, but when you stick with healthy snacks you don't have to worry too much! Hope this helps!
  • Kelnurse
    Kelnurse Posts: 145
    Options
    Hi Rebecca, I'm Kelly, welcome to MFP! Congrats on losing 3 lbs! Thats right on target since they say 1-2 lbs a week is the healthiest way to lose. Snacking is trouble for me too, especially junk food :blushing: But logging food and cals everyday has somewhat forced me to change the junk for better choices. Just keep in mind not everyday is going to be perfect, the key is to jump back on and focus on losing again :happy:
  • gertie101
    Options
    Hi Rebecca, I'm Tanya, a trick I use is to put snack food into 100cal portions in small ziplocks, easy to grab. Best of Luck!
  • voom1396
    voom1396 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm new, too! Feel free to add me to your friends. I think 3 lbs. is great! :smile: