Fluctuating weight throughout day.

Options
I know the golden rule is to weigh in the morning after you wake, first thing. I was very excited this morning when I saw that I was down nearly 10 pounds from where I recently started.

Only I weighed myself an hour ago just for ****s and giggles and it was 6.5 pounds heavier than this mornings result. Is that normal?

Replies

• annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yep, that's normal for me.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Did you take into account what you are wearing? Did you use the same scale? Did you have to go to the bathroom? There are a lot of reasons for fluctuation. I try to weigh myself the same day every week @ the same time (in the morning before I jump in the shower).
  • smota
    smota Posts: 62
    Options
    Insisting on weighing yourself more than once a week is just self-defeating. Your weight will go up and down all the time, day to day, and throughout the day. Google it and you'll understand this is not a new discussion and, for your own sake and motivation, you should just keep to the 'golden rules' :)

You are right jumping on the scale first thing in the morning, but set a day in the week you'll do it and endure the waiting - you'll see it's worth it!

Best x Susana
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Every 16 fluid ounces of water weighs one pound, plus the food you eat, whether you've gone to the bathroom, what you're wearing. There's no reason to weigh yourself in the middle of the day, it will just freak you out! :)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I can easily fluctuate by 3lb from early morning to evening. It's all about food in the digestive tract, water balance etc.

That's why I only bother to weigh weekly and always in the morning.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Thats normal... your weight fluctuates a lot during the day between the food you eat and drinks, and of course bathroom breaks.

I weigh myself at night before bed and then in the morning after the bathroom. I usually see a 2 lb difference but sometimes 3 or 4. Never weighed myself mid-day but I would assume I would jump as much at 6-8, depending on how long I ate prior to weighing and if it was a heavy meal.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Is it normal? That depends on if you weigh yourself with more clothes, ingest water or food (I'm guessing you do) and are using the same scale.

This has been said before but you should weigh yourself no more than once a week. Weight fluctuations are natural if your eat, drink and go to the bathroom.

Not trying to be harsh just trying to reassure you that progress is measured in weeks/months, not hours/days.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    yup, normal. put the scale away :smile:
  • junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options
    I have to weigh myself daily for a journal for my orthopedist, as part of my physical therapy. It sucks. Haha.
  • lynx__13
    lynx__13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yah I'd say it's normal. I can easily fluctuate +/- 5 lbs or so during the day. Only compare your morning weights to make sure you're getting consistant weight loss numbers :)
  • junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options
    And don't worry about sounding harsh! Just bc I have to weigh daily doesn't mean I need to keep checking. Thanks yall! :)
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I dont weight myself in the evening because the difference is really big and I would really not giggle a lot...:D
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    I have read somewhere before that on an average day most folk would eat the equivalent of 5lb in weight of food.