weight loss and skin ....question does it shrink?

Options
i have a issue, i have/had a big stomach......currently going down in inches but the question of my day is ............. when you loose a lot of weight (i have lost 46 so far and have like 80 more to go) does the skin shrink back to normal?? will i always have a big skin flap roll?? will it go to a normal looking stomach ?????????? i know i will never have a 6 pack again, i weighed a lot and have had 5 kiddos so i am stretched.....but can it be almost normal?? will my second chin shrink up? the extra skin under the arms???

anyone with knowledge?? i know there is a ton of ppl on here who has lost a ton of weight that would know !!

Replies

• sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    Glad you asked that question, cause I have the same one. I'm 46 and my stomach has stretched way past its intended size. I have horrible stretch marks. So Does anyone know the likelihood of some skin shrinkage?
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It wont "shrink" so to speak, but if you do some strength training it will help you to tone up, and the more tone you the less jiggly skin you will have. I am having the same issue. I do HIIT training, which is High Intesity Interval Training, which combines strength training with short bursts of cardio to keep your heart rate up so you are burning lots of calories during your strength training. All you can do about the skin is tone, and drink lots of water!!
  • LazyMogg
    LazyMogg Posts: 162
    Options
    Hi ambermichk and well done you for losing all that.

From what I understand, your skin should eventually catch up with your body and is more likely to do so if you don't drastically lose weight. If you go down at about 1 -2 ibs a week you should be fine.

You can help to tone up your abs by doing exercises to target that area and I guess there will be some experts here to help you with that.

Anyway, good luck and nice to meet you. xx
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Do a quick search on the boards for "loose skin" - you'll get lots of results. It depends on so many factors, genetics, how much your skin was stretched and for how long, elasticity, age. I lost over 200 lbs and after 2 years, my skin was NOT returning to normal. No amount of toning could make a difference. I had over 25 lbs of extra skin removed - and I'd do it all over again.
  • tauns
    tauns Posts: 29
    Options
    I weighed 300 lbs and was in a size 28/30. I now am 134 and in a size 6/8 and honestly most of my skin has shrunk great. I think a lot of it depends on the elasticity of your skin, how old you are and how long you had the weight on.
  • Maidei
    Maidei Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yup I agree with Slinksy (Sorry if it's spelled wrong). I've learned what she said, as long as you don't loose weight too drastically and do it through exercise and diet, you skin will adjust with you as you loose the weight. Of course sometimes there is an age factor because the older we get the less elasticity our skin has so it's chances of bouncing back get smaller but it's really not that big of a problem. You should be fine. Most people of all ages' skin adjust with them so you really don't have much to worry about as long as you are losing weight the right way. People who usually get lots of extra skin are usually subjects of weight loss surgery where they drop lots of pounds really fast and the body has no time to adjust.
  • ambermichk
    ambermichk Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info and everyones expeirences with loose skin.....i am 35 years old, trying to loose it the right way with diet and exercise so hopefully it will take on some type of human form, it has been stretched for years (had 5 kids) and always been big but only past few years have i been huge so i might have a chance !!!