Too much Protein? Help Please (:

Options
I was just reviewing my Food Diary and every day I have been going over on Protein... could this sabbatage my diet?
Also, if anyone reccomends any changes, I am all ears. I try to make good choices/decisions, but am new to this so any constructive criticism is welcome. I made my Diary public so anyone could take a look.
Thanks in advance for any help (:
Amber

Replies

• ambiedawnz
    ambiedawnz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I know on a few days I went overboard with the sodium, but that doesn't happen all the time.. one of those things I need to keep in check for sure though.. I used to put salt on almost everything.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Going over protein is fine, MFP figures are low anyway, it won't sabotage your diet, it sometimes helps!

I go over mine nearly every day.

Ben

Edit: just had a quick peek at ur diary, I would try stick to 1500 sodium max, that way if you go over that figure a little then its not too bad. I few friends on here started losing more once they cut their sodium down. If it is getting high though try drink plenty of water too.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I barely ever eat meat, and I go over on my protein too. I just figure that it must not be too hard to get your daily protein and don't worry too much about it.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    going over protein is fine, but there are quite a few day where you didn't consume 1200 calories. You might need a little more calories to aide in weight loss....
  • Jessicah1987
    Jessicah1987 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Protein helps build calorie-burning lean muscle. It also helps you stay fuller longer. Protein is definitely your friend. Its sugar and sodium that sabotages most weight loss attempts.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    No harm at all...the protein level MFP sets are quite low, you can set your own on here. Google "Carb, fat, protein ratio for weight loss" and have a read then set your own based on what you've read. A popular one is 40/30/30 c/f/p. , I have mine set for 40/25/35 c/f/p
  • plumeria913
    Options
    I've done lots of research on this, and nobody really agrees on the percentages for carbs/fats/protein. You need to find what works best for you. I eat ALOT of protein, and it's been working really well for me. But you wont find a definitive answer - even the experts disagree!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You are doing an excellent job with your diet! I wouldn't worry too much about the little bit you go over. You can even customize your diet to suit your personal needs. I upped my protein because i want a diet of lots of veggies and protein and little carbs...I just work better on that. If you work out a lot you might find you need more.
  • ambiedawnz
    Options
    Thanks SO so so much for the feedback so far everyone! I think I'm going to work on drinking more water, which is fine, I love ice water with a little lemon.. and now that I know the protein isnt a big problem I feel better..(I am starting to do strength training 3 times a week after I get my cardio in, and maybe the protein will help me build some good muscle!) I feel like I eat a lot as it is and am going to try to find some more healhty choices to help up my calories a bit... things without any sodium LOL.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    almonds with no salt are a great choice! get a little more protien, healthy fat and little salt :)
  • ambiedawnz
    Options
    almonds with no salt are a great choice! get a little more protien, healthy fat and little salt :)

One of my favorite snacks right there, love almonds (: !
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    Going over protein is fine, MFP figures are low anyway.

Actually MFP says i need says i need 45 grams of protein each day but i only need about 40 grams. Going over on protein does have effects over long periods of time but there are many different opinions on this.
    This article should help:)

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm

How much protein do we need?

Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams.
    Another way to compute protein needs has to do with lean body mass. This method is discussed in the Zone Diet and Protein Power books.

Do people who exercise need more protein?

Although it is controversial, there is evidence that people engaging in endurance exercise (such as long distance running) or heavy resistive exercise (such as body building) can benefit from additional protein in their diets. One prominent researcher in the field recommends 1.2 to 1.4 grams per kilogram of body weight per day for endurance exercisers and 1.7 to 1.8 grams per kg per day for heavy strength training.
    But shouldn’t protein intake be a percentage of total calories?

Quite a few programs and nutritionists quote percentage of calories, usually in the range of 10 percent to 20 percent, as a way to figure out how much protein a person needs to consume daily. This is a rough estimate of a person's minimum protein needs. It works because typically, larger and more active people need more calories, so the more calories they need, the more protein they will get.
    Where this falls down is when people are eating diets that are lower in calories for any reason, conscious or not. People who are ill or losing weight, for example, do not need less protein just because they are eating fewer calories.

What happens if we don’t eat enough protein?

Unlike fat and glucose, our body has little capacity to store protein. If we were to stop eating protein, our body would start to break down muscle for its needs within a day or so.
    Is it OK to eat a lot more protein than the minimum recommendations?

This is the crucial question for people on diets that are higher in protein than usual, as low-carb diets tend to be. In a review of the research, the National Academy of Sciences reported that the only known danger from high-protein diets is for individuals with kidney disease. After careful study, they recommend that 10 percent to 35 percent of daily calories come from protein. They point out that increased protein could be helpful in treating obesity. There is also accumulating evidence that extra protein may help prevent osteoporosis.
    Extra protein can be broken down into glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis. On low carb diets, this happens continually. One benefit of obtaining glucose from protein is that it is absorbed into the bloodstream very slowly, so it doesn’t cause a rapid blood sugar increase.
  • JaredTheGeek
    JaredTheGeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you are working out the extra protein is great. Especially for strength training. A lot of people worry about too much protein but I adhere to the Primal Blueprint and it works great. I don't do a ketosis diet but it it much higher in protein and its really easy to go over. I also have more energy and feel fuller.

I also recommend checking out "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It" by Gary Taubes and maybe watching Fat Head. The arguments for a protein rich diet with low carbs is pretty compelling. Remember that carbs are turned into sugar in our bodies. I don't cut them totally out but they are minimized. I also concentrate on real food. Nothing processed if I can help it and I cook everything except for my cheat meal.

Its worked for me and I feel better than I have in a long time.
  • ambiedawnz
    Options
    I also recommend checking out "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It" by Gary Taubes and maybe watching Fat Head. The arguments for a protein rich diet with low carbs is pretty compelling.

I was actually flipping through my netflix list and remember seeing 'Fat head' on there, I'll have to watch it, thanks for your thoughts on everything!
  • lowpost42
    lowpost42 Posts: 49
    Options

I also recommend checking out "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It" by Gary Taubes and maybe watching Fat Head. The arguments for a protein rich diet with low carbs is pretty compelling. Remember that carbs are turned into sugar in our bodies. I don't cut them totally out but they are minimized. I also concentrate on real food. Nothing processed if I can help it and I cook everything except for my cheat meal.

Its worked for me and I feel better than I have in a long time.

The Gary Taubes book has been a game-changer for my wife. She had only ever lost weight on a low-carb, high fats and protein diet. Taubes' book was like permission for her to give 'er and lose weight with impunity!

(I personally like the idea of eating a ton of steak and broccoli; smothered in butter.)