To exercise...or not to exercise

Options
I admit it. I'm a newbie to exercising. I've been working out 3 to 4 days per week for 45 minutes to an hour. I mix it up with strength training, body sculpting, aerobics so I don't get bored and I keep my body guessing what's coming next. (Good plan or no...?)

My workout yesterday (legs and butt) left me SORE today! My buns and thighs ACHE and BURN! So, here's my question: Is it better for my aching muscles to exercise and work through it or should I take a day off and rest them? I don't want to cause damage either way...

Any advice from the expert exercisers is appreciated!

Replies

• agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means, but if my workout leaves me REALLY sore, I"ll take 1 day and just walk a few miles - it's easy on the muscles, but still gets some cardio in, even if it's light cardio.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing....
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    I am working with a hospital program...Our book says to give it one day...Honestly though, I have been known to work through it and been sorry for it some days...ouch!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i'd say work upperbody and give them a day off. Generally you want to give a targeted muscle group a day of rest. If it's just aerobics or cardio, you're ok to do consecutive days. But if you work on targeting muscle groups, target different ones the next day, and you can go back to the first on day 3 :)
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    If you are sore from exercise you should be resting and eating plenty of protein to recover your muscle.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Some soreness is normal. Serious pain, however, should prompt you to allow for a little healing, I believe.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    ill normally work through it, but if its REALLY sore, ill do something light, like walking, or do something that involves another muscle group
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If I'm sore or my body feels overly fatigued, I still try to do some light cardio. I find it loosens everything up and you are still getting some activity in.

If you are really miserable, Ben Gay and Epsom Salts work too. :wink:

Good luck!
  • ameaston22
    Options
    I usually won't work muscles that are super sore. However, I wouldn't give up and not do anything. If you're not too sore to walk, maybe go for a short walk or do toning exercises. When I am really sore, I just do my ab and butt toning exercises - which are usually done on my back or hands and knees and not too intense. If anything doesn't feel right - just stop. Follow your body's cues
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i'd say work upperbody and give them a day off. Generally you want to give a targeted muscle group a day of rest. If it's just aerobics or cardio, you're ok to do consecutive days. But if you work on targeting muscle groups, target different ones the next day, and you can go back to the first on day 3 :)

I have to agree here. Work a diff muscle group.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When you're just starting out it's best to have rest days in between. If you are incredibly sore it'll only get worse from exercising. Your muscles need a chance to recover, give them a break.
  • niknik43
    niknik43 Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I kind of thought I'd rest the ol' behind and did some yoga instead. They felt better when I was doing the yoga and stretching them out but once those muscles cooled down, they got really sore again. I've been drinking lots of water because I thought that might help but I never even thought about protein...I'll make sure to eat plenty.

This forum is the greatest! Thanks for all your tips and advice!