Coconut Water--WOW--great treat!

Options
shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
Picked up a coconut at the store today just for a change in fruit--I got the water out of it and checked it out here on MFP and was surprised to find out it's pretty low in calories, sugar, and NO FAT! Tastes really good ice cold, too! The sodium level is a little high, so I personally wouldn't drink a lot of it but as a nice little treat sometimes it seems pretty decent overall.

And, it's supposed to be REALLY good for you, too.

This is the water now--the liquid that comes out of the coconut when you crack it--I'm not referring to coconut milk--whole different creature!

Coconut water (liquid from coconuts)
1 cup
Calories 46
Sodium 252 mg
Total Fat 0 g
Potassium 600 mg
Saturated 0 g
Total Carbs 9 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Calcium 6 %
Vitamin C 10 %
Iron 4 %

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Picked up a coconut at the store today just for a change in fruit--I got the water out of it and checked it out here on MFP and was surprised to find out it's pretty low in calories, sugar, and NO FAT! Tastes really good ice cold, too! The sodium level is a little high, so I personally wouldn't drink a lot of it but as a nice little treat sometimes it seems pretty decent overall.

And, it's supposed to be REALLY good for you, too.

This is the water now--the liquid that comes out of the coconut when you crack it--I'm not referring to coconut milk--whole different creature!

Coconut water (liquid from coconuts)
    1 cup
    Calories 46
    Sodium 252 mg
    Total Fat 0 g
    Potassium 600 mg
    Saturated 0 g
    Total Carbs 9 g
    Sugars 6 g
    Protein 2 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Calcium 6 %
    Vitamin C 10 %
    Iron 4 %
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    This is a favorite summertime Chinatown treat for me. You pick your coconut, hand it to a guy, and he chops the top off with a machete and sticks in a straw. I love it.
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    My husband and I were at a local farmers market and we halfed joked about getting some coconuts. I bet if we looked, we could find some really great recipes for coconuts. I will try to find some and post them!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    *sigh* brings me back to my days living in the West Indies - fresh coconuts right off the tree and that water is DIVINE!!! :love:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    mmmm love it!

my Italian dad got me hooked on coconuts when I was a kid ....go figure?:ohwell: he loved them too I guess LOL

but that sounds good!
    hugs,
    Ali