im not hungry any more??? problem!!!

Options
since i have started tracking what i eat i have noticed that im not nearly as hungry as what I used to be. before i could easily eat over 2000 cals in a day and not think about it. now i eat what i think is normal and notice that its been under 1000 cals. i know that my body needs at least 1200 cals but my stomach is getting to the point that it hurts when i eat really big meals. i snack and drink alot of water but the cals are just not there.

has any one else:huh: struggled with this?? let me know!!!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It might work for you to switch to eating 4 or more small meals per day. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I have cut down to three meals at about 400 calories each (some days it's not quite that perfect) and one or two snacks.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have had this trouble the past couple weeks. I force myself to eat small meals often throughout the day. It would be easy for me to skip eating... and that is terrible!
  • dawnyl25
    dawnyl25 Posts: 16
    Options
    its almost like im forcing food down my throat. its 11 at night and instead of going to bed im trying to get enough cals for the day. and im not hungry at all :(
  • tramar
    tramar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing! I often have to force myself to take in a night time snack because I am under 900 calories a day since logging everything into MFP. I too could eat 2000+ calories a day prior to MFP. What I have noticed is when I look at the nutrition tally for the day, my protein consumption is over the recommended allotment. I feel like I am eating responsible amounts, not big steaks or anything. I weigh/measure my food, so I feel like I am correct in my calorie calculations. I am wondering if it is the Adkins effect that I am experiencing. You know, when you eat more protein, then appetite decreases. I am interested to see what others say too.
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that are higher in calories, but not junk like nuts & avocados and use olive oil in your cooking or salad dressing. This will help you get to your caloric goal without eating a lot of food.
  • Alyssa215
    Alyssa215 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try putting some more calorie-rich foods in your diet, like mixed nuts, Greek yogurt, stuff like that. Trying to eat an extra 400 calories worth of celery is so much harder than eating a half cup of mixed nuts. Also, maybe add a cup of fruit juice with one or more of your meals. Great nutrients and lots of natural sugars!
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would trust what your body is telling you. We're not children any more and don't have to 'clean our plates'. Listen to your body, feed it when it's hungry and stop when you're satisfied.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    its almost like im forcing food down my throat. its 11 at night and instead of going to bed im trying to get enough cals for the day. and im not hungry at all :(

You might want to try a protein drink. It helped me reach my calories when I struggled with not being hungry. Good luck!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I took a glance at your diary and it looks as if part of the problem is frequency. Planning is key. You need at least 4 meals/snacks in the day, rather than trying to fit it all into 1 or 2. Eat a healthy breakfast with good protein. Spread it out more, throughout the day, and it's not nearly so hard to get up to cal goal. Aim for nutrient dense foods with good protein, good fats, and good carbs, balanced in each meal/snack.

Also, remember that you're retraining your body to eat a healthy amount of healthy food. It's easy to pound down 2000-3000 cals of junk food. But it takes more planning to get appropriate cals with healthy food - not harder, just takes a bit of work. Depending on hunger cues in the beginning isn't reliable. When you've had poor eating habits for a while, your body adapts to that and won't send the right cues. So it will take time to correct that.
  • gozdeh
    gozdeh Posts: 59
    Options
    I don't think its a problem. Probably your stomach shrunk....

I am not hungry any more either but I see it as a positive... I might be wrong at this but I always believe in listening to your body. :smile:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    When your body stops telling you it is hungry, your metabolism is slowing down. I skipped meals for years, and my body quit telling me it was hungry. I gained weight while taking in maybe 900 (or less) cals a day. With the help of my doctor, nutritionist and a dietician I had to work up to eatting the 1200 cals a day over a couple months. I had to set a timer to make sure I ate something every 4 hours max. Once I got up to 1100 - 1200 I started to lose weight. After about 6 weeks I stopped losing. They had me up my cals over another month to 1400 and I started losing again. The process started almost 9 months ago and now my body tells me when I need to eat (most of the time). When I know I will be having a busy day I will set the timer or I will forget to eat. With the addition of moderate exercise my weight loss has slowed down, I do eat back about half the calories. I am making an appointment to see the dietician to see what her recommendation is now. In order to lose you have to have a smoothly running metabolism, and that means you have to eat. Try to load more calories earlier in the day so you don't feel like you are stuffing yourself at night.

Good Luck!
  • dawnyl25
    Options
    Try putting some more calorie-rich foods in your diet, like mixed nuts, Greek yogurt, stuff like that. Trying to eat an extra 400 calories worth of celery is so much harder than eating a half cup of mixed nuts. Also, maybe add a cup of fruit juice with one or more of your meals. Great nutrients and lots of natural sugars!
  • dawnyl25
    Options
    the juice put me right were i want to be!!! thanks for all the help! :)
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    At night if I need more calories I mix up a glass of chooclate milk. It might not be the healthiest, but that little bit of sweet helps kill any cravings I may be having and Im sure to get some much needed calcium.
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the same thing! Helps knowing I'm not the only one! :-) Juice helped? I will have to give that a try...