HIgh heart rate on the eliptical and other cardio

Hello friends! I have been using the eliptical for my cardio training at a gym. I used the 'metal bar attached to the hand rails' type heart monitor a few times throughout a 30 minute workout. Everytime I do, my heart rate is always 180... it shows on the screen that this is a fairly high rate. There are labels under the heart rate meter that say 'weight loss' and 'fat burning' but mine are never in that range... I am typically out of breath after I get off, but I think I could carry a breathy conversation with someone as I 'run.' I feel fine when I do it, too. Should I be switching up resistance settings or something? Or do I need to slow down to where my heart rate is lower?

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Sorry..no input on this as mine HR is always higher than what the suggest. Hopefully you'll get some good answers.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Ill do an hour at 170-185 hr it hasn't killed me yet
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    The machine could be off but next time you are on....listen to your body. As "poetic" as that sounds....there are days my heart rate is out of the zone I set myself to be in and when i concentrate on my heart and tune in, I realize then its really beating fast and I slow down for a few to bring it back down. I dont know the medical reasons why you dont want to always be above the target zone but definitely take a moment and tune in to see how you really feel when it says your heart rate is high
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Those monitors are notoriously inaccurate. My treadmill sometimes shows a readout when im not even holding the monitors. If you are really wanting to target your workout, get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. That is your best bet to makecsure you stay in range. Lots of strings around on what to buy....
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    Many thanks for your replies. LIstening to my body is what I felt was best, too. I just didnt want to be causing more harm than good... and didnt know if there really was a reasoning to the suggested rates. But it sounds like you all have the same 'problem' and are doing just fine. I appreciate the replies, everyone.
  • A heart rate of 180 is very high. It also depends on your age. I'm 44 and I do about an hour on the ellpitical when I do it. My heart rate ranges between 120 - 140. I put the level between 7-10. When I first started my heart rate was in the 150s and could only do about 30-40 minutes. If your heart rate is that high, I suggest you increase the levels and slow down. You can't really go by the fat burning zone vs. aerobic zone as they are basically super generalized. The bottom line is to burn calories. You may want to consider other types of exercise too in order to build up stamina. I do mixed martial arts and since I started my fitness level has dramatically improved.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Now I'm no expert, but I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. From what I have read when your heart rate is to high you burn muscle not fat. I am getting my heart rate monitor tomorrow. That way I make sure I am in the correct heart rate zone for me (it beeps if you go to high) and so I know how many calories I am burning. Hope this helps.

Edit* please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the whole heart rate being to high scenario!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    If you don't feel like you're dying, you're probably fine. For the first several months I was working out my heart rate was above 180, but recently it's dropped a bit. It doesn't reach 180 until the last few minutes of my 60 minutes on the arc trainer. Your heart is a muscle, the more cardio you do, the stronger it will get. Over time, as it gets stronger it will work more efficiently and your heart rate will be lower during your workouts.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    You should be aiming for a high heart rate but no higher thatn 220 minus your age.
    And if you're getting into the high heart rate range you are still burning fat (a lot of it) and also getting a cardio work out.
    The fat loss range doesnt do this for you.
  • Selaen
    Selaen Posts: 31 Member
    Don't worry about the high rate - it's got to do with your age & fitness level.. I am constantly hitting 190+ at my peak times, and it's not done me any harm yet! I wouldn't be able to sustain it for a long period of time, but it's not going to cause my heart to go kaput.

As soon as you start feeling dizzy/get pains, you should stop. But until then, don't worry. Just keep going at a rate which feels good and you'll soon see that with the same effort, your HR is going down.

EDIT: forgot to say that as a smoker & former couch potato, I am incredibly unfit (still), but I've seen my HR go down from 206 at peaks to 196. According to the 220-age my max. HR would be 195. Yet I've clocked 209 on my HRM once, so don't stare at the machine's HR stuff too intently. If you want to do HR training, read up on it (Heart Rate training for the compleat idiot is my recommendation) and find your personal zones.