Running Shoes Question

Options
I want to buy new running shoes this weekend. Anyone have any suggestions for their favorite brands? I don't want to spend a mint either! Thanks!

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I have Asics, one of there Gel Kanbarra styles. I got 'em for around $50 at DSW and I love them.
  • millerguard
    Options
    the ones i have are skechers kenetic tone ups. ugly as sin but are like walking and running on air. I got them on sale at famous foot wear for $30 but that has been more than two weeks ago. that is what i recomend.
  • britt_fit
    britt_fit Posts: 169
    Options
    Yeah I swear by aasics. They're super comfy. I have super wide feet, so they're really good for that too. I actually have guys shoes because my feet are so wide :ohwell:
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have Asics, one of there Gel Kanbarra styles. I got 'em for around $50 at DSW and I love them.

I've been running for ten years, and I've always went with "non-specialty" running shoes-- I've had great luck with Asics! I'm actually running in Asic Gels currently. And by specialty running shoes, I mean brands like Brooks or Mizunos-- which a lot of runners like, but sometimes they're more expensive.

Check out The Shoe Dog from Runner's World-- It helps you pick out shoes that might work for you based on your gender, foot type, running style, etc.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Please don`t go by someone elses favorite brand - if you intend to run you need shoes that support your gait ( foot fall ) correctly - shoes with the wrong support can easily lead to injury

You should buy your shoes at a reputable running store where the staff will watch you walk or run and suggest the right shoe for you

If you are just buying shoes to lift weights or use a stationary bike or eliptical anything will do - in fact socks are just fine for lifting - just don`t drop anything :)

Running in any of the 'toning" shoes is absolutely not a good idea - it even says so on the box !
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Please don`t go by someone elses favorite brand - if you intend to run you need shoes that support your gait ( foot fall ) correctly - shoes with the wrong support can easily lead to injury

You should buy your shoes at a reputable running store where the staff will watch you walk or run and suggest the right shoe for you

If you are just buying shoes to lift weights or use a stationary bike or eliptical anything will do - in fact socks are just fine for lifting - just don`t drop anything :)

Running in any of the 'toning" shoes is absolutely not a good idea - it even says so on the box !

This is great advice. Everyone's gait is different. Go to a proper running shoe store and get fitted for the shoe that best suits your feet.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    yes please get fitted if you are serious...

after getting fitted, many of my random foot pains went away and I have been able to push myself more. Yes its costly but i would rather pay up for a shoe vs a doctor's appointment that could lead to major other issues...
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options

thank you! well said :)
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The Shoe Dog from Runner's World can give you a good start on recommending certain types of shoes that may work for you, so when you walk into a store (especially a specialty running store) you'll have an idea of what to look for; and it can help prepare you for questions a specialty store assistant would ask you, like if you over- or under-pronate, etc.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've heard New Balance stores will fit your foot to a shoe that works for you specifically. Our feet are all different!

I love my Asics, but I need a thicker insole even with the gel kind- but they're so comfy otherwise and I have wide feet. I have a 1/2 size bigger than I normally wear.
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I can tell you which NOT to buy. I have Saucony Propel Plus.. they give me such calf pain I want to cry
  • julesbskinny
    julesbskinny Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    not sure if you have a specialty shoe store in your area. We have Fleet Feet here in Sacramento. My first time ever....the best service EVER!!!!! I spent $130 (including the socks). More than i normally would but I felt like i really need a shoe that fit ME and that's what they did. They watched me walked bare foot, measured my feet (slightly awakard) and picked a few shoes for me to try and i picked a pair of new balance. They have been great! I kind of wondered why they were so expensive because you can buy new balance any where, right? Well i checked in a regular store and saw some for 39.99.... i looked them over real good - they were even cuter than my shoes - you want to know what the difference????.... they were made in China. I got home and looked at mine and they were made in the USA. The quality of mine are WAY better (no offense China) but i could tell instantly. Moral of the story... buy a shoe that is made well and it will save you in the long run! I'll stop blabbing now :-O
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I echo too that shoes are very important. do not go for cheap or cute. your body and feet will thank you for it. I initally walked and was able to go further and longer because I had good shoes. I have very wide and flat feet so Motion Control type shoes work best for me. I even started jogging @ 440 lbs. again because of great shoes! I spend on avg. 100-130$ for a pair of shoes and do not regret the cost one bit.

if you can't get into a store to and have a running professional take a look at your feet type and gait, this can be a good guide to figure out what does and doesn't work for you.

http://www.zappos.com/running-shoe-fit-guide

everyone's feet and gait is different. some brands of shoes work for some and others don't. I've tried many brands and found that
    Nike, Asics, Saucony don't work for me. New Balance and Brooks do.
  • MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I ended up going with New Balance running shoes-the kind I had before. I just thought it was probably best for me to stick to what I know! Thanks everyone for the suggestions!