Newbies-- emotional eating

karenakarena
karenakarena Posts: 6 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a tendency to eat when I am stress, upset or tired. The choice of food is usually something unhealthy like chips, MacDonald, ice-cream etc...and I EAT A LOT till I am satisfy. Though every time when I am done, I usually feel very guilty and that will always bring to back to snacking even more cos I am feeling very bad. I constantly see myself doing it and want to know if anyone have experience it and if there is anything I can do to deal with it! thanks!

Replies

• You SOooo sound like me! It is something I have struggled with all my life. I lost a lot of weight and then my Dad died and I gained it all back-plus! This yo-yo thing really messed with my self esteem over the years. I finally got my head around this lifestyle change thing and now my Mom has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. The first thing I thought of was eating every night for weeks after I found out. But you have to stop yourself and ask if this is an effective way to deal with the problem. Inevitably the answer is no. Evaluate if you are hungry and NEED the food (use your calories on MFP to track) or if you are using food as a coping method.
    I've made a promise to myself that I'm not going there again. Stuffing the feelings down with food doesn't make them go away. There will always be stress triggers in our lives. That's just life. Personally, I am using exercise, listening to music, reading a great book or talking to a friendnow and it's working. If you are stressed, type out your worries on MFP and these amazing people will be glad to help :)
    xo
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    I am definitely like this too! It's so hard not to eat those "yummy" foods, but then you feel like crap after! However, I have tried to resist (mostly without fail) lately. I think it helps to go workout actually! You feel awesome and it really helps relieve my stress. Then if you decide to treat yourself a little bit, at least you have already worked it off! Another thing that has been helpful is to have a single peice of dark chocolate. Chocolate does wonders! I get the hershey's special dark chocolate with almonds. It seems to help my sweet tooth and I don't wind up eating 12 of them.. or worse.. 12 cookies!
  • paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    I am also a emotional eater....happy, upset, sad...I always reach for food. But lately I have noticed since I have been eating better and exercising I have fewer mood swings. And it helps that I am not depriving myself from everything. If I want a piece of chocolate I have a bite of it....I just don't sit there and eat the whole thing. My favorite are the kisses.....

But if my head is telling me to eat...not my tummy...I just go for a short walk. And if thats not possible I brush my teeth or chew a piece of gum.
This discussion has been closed.