How do you resist?

Options
I own Satan. He's small, flat, white, with an electric readout screen. Every day he looks at me and begs me to come and stand on him. Everyday I say I'm going to resist Satan's temptations, that I should only being giving in once a week, but everyday I fail. And everyday he get's stronger and stronger, feeding off my negative emotions.

So tell me, how do *you* resist Satan's temptations? Because honestly, I need an intervention, and every little bit of advice helps.

Replies

• farmerswife87
    Options
    I keep mine in the back of the bottom shelf of my bathroom closet. Out of sight, out of mind (most of the time)!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I don't. I know my weight will fluctuate and all I want is the general trend to be down. I just don't let it bother me!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't. I weigh everyday rain or shine. The reason I started weighing every day is because people were getting down by their daily fluctuations and I wanted to prove it was normal. A friend of mine was a little depressed about his weight going up and down. So I sent him my daily chart. Made him realize it is no big deal.

Further it keeps me focused.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you have the grit, determination and will power to lose weight you have the grit, will power and determination to weigh in ONLY at the allocated time LOL!

My scale has been moved from the bathroom - out of sight out of mind!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I gave up the scale for Lent. My husband, who is not Catholic, hid the scale and told me I couldn't have it back until the day after Easter. I just want to see progress in my clothes and the way they fit. I measure instead.
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    I have zero willpower.......I had hubby hide it.........lol....
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    If I do not weigh everyday then I gain weight. Seeing the weight actually helps me be more dilligent. If I don't weigh for a while I tend to cheat more and then I get out of control. Like I am right now. :(
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Weighing yourself everyday is not the problem; it is how you are responding to it. Daily weight fluctuations are totally normal. If you are in weight loss mode, then you should only record your weight 1xweek at the same time to reflect a more accurate picture of what is happening. In regards to resisting getting on your scale, you need to remove it from your bathroom and put it somewhere really out of the way, like the attic and only get it down on Sat. mornings to weigh and then put it back immediately. Make it a hassle to get OR get over the daily number game and keeping weighing yourself and mature into the fact that it is okay to see the numbers change. Good luck on your journey.
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options
    take the batteries out ! :happy:
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    This is kinda gross but whole else gets excited about the weigh in the morning after a .... you know ... "constitutional"?
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself everyday is not the problem; it is how you are responding to it. Daily weight fluctuations are totally normal. If you are in weight loss mode, then you should only record your weight 1xweek at the same time to reflect a more accurate picture of what is happening. In regards to resisting getting on your scale, you need to remove it from your bathroom and put it somewhere really out of the way, like the attic and only get it down on Sat. mornings to weigh and then put it back immediately. Make it a hassle to get OR get over the daily number game and keeping weighing yourself and mature into the fact that it is okay to see the numbers change. Good luck on your journey.

This is brilliant advice. I do weigh more than once a week but if the numbers are up inbetween, I *try* to not let it bother me (but that's easier said than done!).
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I weigh only once a week on the scales at work. These are very accurate as they dont get moved. Sometimes I think it would be nice to see mid week but I dont get on.
    I resist by simply saying and thinking it doesnt really matter that much I will find oujt in a few days on weigh in day
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week becuase i worry that seeing the increase will discourage me. I just hope that friday morning i have a loss and even if i think i've lost in the week seeing the bigger loss on friday does more for me than seeing a 1/2lb loss or an increase daily.
  • LivingFree
    Options
    Have you considered charting it daily? Add up the week's weigh ins, divide by 7 and that gives you the average weight for the week. Report the last weigh in or the average for the week, just be consistent. You'll likely get tired of it and just do it once a week after awhile of making work of it. I used to weigh daily too but after you get into the lifestyle change, the urge leaves. Good luck in your journey :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

So tell me, how do *you* resist Satan's temptations? Because honestly, I need an intervention, and every little bit of advice helps.

I purchased Satan many years ago. I was young, dumb and full of.....errrr....impulse. He winked at me, flashed his bright red assets in my face and shimmered seductively. How could I resist?

I paid for Satan. Satan is therefore my b*tch. Satan only comes out to play when I let him. Even then its strictly on my terms. Lord knows where Satan is at the moment because I got so bored with his inane conversations that I haven't talked to him in ages. I accept that when I do feel like letting him out of his box again he will do his level best to mess with my head. One day he will be sweetness and light, flatter me, stroke my ego. The next time he will try and crush my spirit and taunt me . He will never, ever, tell me the full story as that is not in his interests. If he told me the whole truth that would reduce his power over me.

I admit to being a bit mean. I have been known to throw Satan down the stairsand take great satisfaction seeing him bounce up and down like a demented yo you before coming to a stop. I then have a long chat with my twin Angels, Ms Measuring Tape and Ms Body Fat Calipers. Damn, those girls are sexy and make me feel good about myself.

Satan? Pah.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself everyday is not the problem; it is how you are responding to it.

Well said!

I weigh daily and actually log it in MFP daily, which I know is against the MFP norm. If anyone paid attention to my weight loss ticker, they would see it go up and down by a pound or two (or three) daily. I do it for a couple of reasons. First, I am aware of daily fluctuations. They are normal, everybody has them, and happen for a myriad of reasons, e.g. sodium intake, hydration level, hormones, etc. If you can't deal with that fact, do not weigh daily. Second, I like to see the daily fluctuations in comparison to my diet. I can see that my weight goes consistently up after eating out at a restaurant (High sodium foods) and other correlations. But I am a nerd like that :bigsmile:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with weighing daily but if you aren't mentally able to handle the fluctuations, don't do it.