BEANS & YOU GUESSED IT..... GAS!! SUGGESTIONS?

Options
Wow, a touchy subject eh? Ok, I know about digestive enzymes, but still I have yet to find anything that really really works well for the consumption of the beautiful bean! Any suggestions??? :sad:

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Beano works! Also, chewing them thoroughly helps some. The more work your stomach has to do to digest them, the more gas you're going to have.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Make sure you always stand downwind of everyone?
  • nancy7711
    nancy7711 Posts: 12
    Options
    GREAAAAAAT response!! :love:
  • dian1227
    dian1227 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Make sure you always stand downwind of everyone?

That is a definate...and use beano...
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you are eating canned beans, make sure to wash them throughly! I have found this helps a lot. Also, if you are cooking dried beans, soak them overnight and discard the soaking liquid. After you cook them, discard the cooking liquid.

Good luck!
  • Grammy54
    Grammy54 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just cut back a little on the fiber and gradually increase your gas is from too much fiber too quickly.:blushing:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Beano. I have used it in the past and it does work.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Kombu. You can buy it at the health food store. You add it to your bean soups, chili, etc. I have no idea how/why it works. A person from Portugal told me about it. It's a seaweed. Do a google search, you'll be amazed. Hope it helps!
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    If you're eating beans to up your fiber intake, then you may just need to give yourself some time. I'm using the American Heart Association's DASH diet recommendations for fiber, which are high. Black beans help me to achieve the goal, but when adjusting to a high-fiber diet, your body will (at first) produce a lot of gas.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    just don't eat onions - they are way worse for me than beans :(

I love onions.
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you plan to make them from scratch.. adding chopped ginger before you start cooking.... will take care of any gas issue you have.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The only issue with beans I ahve are the canned baked beans! I can't even have a taste of them without having issues later on! I find any other beans (black beans, kidney beans, even homemade baked beans) don't give me gas! It is really weird I have wanted to use beano but always manage to forget about it when shopping. I take Gas-X when i get it though which works pretty well, unfortunately you have to already have the gas to get it to work. I never think to take it before getting it....... Curious to see what everyone says. Beano seems to be a hit so far! Definitely standing down wind or if you are in a group, look at the person next to you with a look of disgust! LOL :blushing: