Best Way to Grocery Shop While Trying to Lose Weight

stscrivener
stscrivener Posts: 17 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Okay, so I know it's unwise to go grocery shopping when you're hungry. Because of this, I try to go after I just ate a meal or snack.

My main question is: how often should I go? Every day, so I'm sure to exercise? I walk there, by the way, and carry my groceries home. And this way I can't overeat.

Every week? Less? What concerns me is that I tend to overeat, even if I set limits for myself by, say, planning my meals ahead of time. Besides that, it's cheaper to purchase foods in bulk.

Replies

• meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    once a week is good. just buy what you need for that whole week ... going everyday is pretty excessive.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    I go once a week and find that ok for me. If you're looking to eat more fresh food, you may have to go twice a week. Also, make sure you make a list...and stick to it! If I don't have a list...I get WAYYYY distracted and end up buying stuff I shouldn't.

And what a good idea about walking there! Good job!
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    I shop every 2 weeks and only go back if I run out of something.. whenever I walk in the store I say to myself
    "Think Healthy, Think Smart, Think Happy"
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    I usually go once a week, and shop the parameters of the store first. That way I avoid as much processed food as possible. Just be careful...the bakery is deadly!!
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    I can only say what works for me.

I am A SUCKER for new products and bright colors LOL. So I do it online every two weeks. I make a list and type it in. This way I am not won over by anything shiney and all the offers are shown to me on the pages - I think it helps when you cant smell cake too LOL I also don't buy things I just don't need. Helps me think ahead in terms of planning meals too. Also most sites have a drop down tab under fresh fruit/fresh veg/tinned goods etc and you can have a look at things you havnt tried before AND click on it to check the nutritional info without looking freeky in the shop staring at the backs of packets for ages!

Food shopping when your hungry is the worst! I pick up what I need plus really random stuff...anchovies, stuffed vine leaves?? cottage cheese. I don't even like the stuff haha

Hope that is useful!! Best wishes!
  • BeGreat25
    BeGreat25 Posts: 78
    I concur with the last two people :)
    I find myself going to the store by myself so I can have time to shop for healthy things my body needs. Also you should do some research on healthy meals and foods and such to be peprared while at store.
  • vauleese
    vauleese Posts: 75
    I go once every 2-3 days (for fresh produce). I keep stores of meat (turkey, chicken, lean ground beef) in my deep freeze along with steam veggies(my children are VERY picky so I get the fresh stuff and they get the frozen kind). I need to start walking there because I think my local Walmart is about a mile away. Pack up the stroller and jog on down then walk back home loaded with fresh fruit and veg.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Once a week. I make out a list beforehand and most importantly, STICK TO THE LIST. If it isn't on the list, it isn't going in my cart. No impulse buys allowed!
  • boognish1972
    boognish1972 Posts: 83 Member
    I concur with the last two people :)
    I find myself going to the store by myself so I can have time to shop for healthy things my body needs. Also you should do some research on healthy meals and foods and such to be peprared while at store.

First, I make a list of meals for six nights of the week (figuring I'll eat leftovers for lunches and one night). Then I write down all the ingredients I'll need to buy to make those recipes. Then we do our shopping on Saturday or Sunday and we're done visiting the store for the week. It's amazing how much money this has saved us and how it has stopped us from buying quick, easy, calorie laden foods after work because they're easy to prepare and we're hungry. It's nice coming home and knowing that you have a healthy, delicious recipe waiting for you to cook and consume. Of course, if you don't like to cook, you wouldn't like our system at all.

We subscribe to Cooking Light magazine and it is chock full of healthy recipes that are mighty tasty. I can't recommend it highly enough.
This discussion has been closed.