Bike Recommendations

FemininGuns
FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi All,

Spring is fast approaching for me and my next goal is to get a bike to commute to/from work (10K one way), family and just about everything (20-30K to get to city center and the beaches). It's all pavement. I do have trails however that I would like to explore. Would a hybrid be sufficient? If not, what would you recommend? I need to be informed instead to going to buy one and be swayed to something just for the commission... So I guess looking for something that I can do long distances comfortably and speedy (if need be) with the possible choice of doing trails...

Doesn't matter if what you know is pricey - I need information :)
Thanks!!

Replies

• A flat barred "fast hybrid" would be my recommendation, something with skinnyish tyres i.e. less rolling resistance. (The other option would be a cyclo-cross bike, but probably not appropriate I would guess). 20/30k is not huge distance, but far enough that you'll want to make it as efficient as possible. Should allow you to go off road as well, to a degree (i.e. it ain't a MTB!) If where you live is fairly flat, consider a single speed, much lower maintainence. I'm guessing you want something with mudguards and able to take a rack for panniers as well, the other thing is make sure you get something light - more expensive bikes will have a carbon frame, whcih is the way to go if you can afford it - and try and get them to throw in some extras (helmet, lights etc), don't be afraid to try and bargain.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    A flat barred "fast hybrid" would be my recommendation, something with skinnyish tyres i.e. less rolling resistance. (The other option would be a cyclo-cross bike, but probably not appropriate I would guess). 20/30k is not huge distance, but far enough that you'll want to make it as efficient as possible. Should allow you to go off road as well, to a degree (i.e. it ain't a MTB!) If where you live is fairly flat, consider a single speed, much lower maintainence. I'm guessing you want something with mudguards and able to take a rack for panniers as well, the other thing is make sure you get something light - more expensive bikes will have a carbon frame, whcih is the way to go if you can afford it - and try and get them to throw in some extras (helmet, lights etc), don't be afraid to try and bargain.

Thanks Tom, real helpful! :)
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    I know when I have bought my bikes, the first question is "how much do you want to spend?" The sport can be rediculously pricey. So although it may sound odd from the salesmen, they are just getting an idea of what your price range is. That might be step one for you to figure out before you even go look.

I have a road bike and love it. I would work from commuting, but I use it for fitness as well. As mentioned above, efficiency is key in biking or cycling. The lighter the bike and the smoother and smaller the tires, the 'easier' it will be to get moving and keep rolling.

Enjoy the bike!
This discussion has been closed.