For UK people, Fish & Chips!!

h64em
h64em Posts: 64 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Hi,

I have been searching several sites for the calorie content of standard chip shop fish & chips and there have been so many different opinions on how many calories, it was frustrating!! I have been on this site for over a month now and have been very good with my food and exercise (which I havent done in 20 plus years!), so thought I would have a fish supper tonight as a treat.
Anyway after several searches I found the Federation of Fish Fries and they have put the nutritional info for a standard portion of fish, chips & mushy peas on their website. So I am going to go with their version. I have added it to the database for everyone to use, its under - Generic - Chip Shop Battered Cod, Chips & Mushy Peas (Uk).
Hope it helps someone, enjoy!! (I know I will tonight!) :smile:

Oh its 688.50 kcals a portion by the way!!

Replies

• winko75
    winko75 Posts: 1 Member
    Yum, yum, think this will be very helpful for us Brits. Hope you enjoy it!! I actually don't think that is too bad calorie wise either :o)
  • Nom Nom NOM. And not nearly as bad as I thought!
  • h64em
    Apparently its one of the best takeaways for calories you can get! Better than a pizza or burger!!
  • traceytoo
    traceytoo Posts: 163
    Njoy, and you will enjoy it but report back cos I bet you don't enjoy it as much as you think you are lol ... I've always found it's the thought of it that is more enjoyable than the eating of it, especially once you eat beyond that full mark and start feeling bloated .... let me know :-))))
  • traceytoo
    out of interest, does it tell you what hte saturated fats are for a portion of chip shop chips?
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Oh its 688.50 kcals a portion by the way!!

Surely that depends on how big the fish is, how big a portion of chips you're having etc? Or did you log it as "per 100g"??
  • h64em
    Yeah, I know what you mean! I am actually planning on having a half portion as I dont think I could eat that much again! LOL
  • h64em
    Logged it as per 100g - the friers say 450 grms is average. We can only do our best guess at food prepared by others though!
  • h64em
    out of interest, does it tell you what hte saturated fats are for a portion of chip shop chips?

Yes, 2.6 grams per 100 grams, logged as much info down as I could!
  • h64em

Yes, 2.6 grams per 100 grams, logged as much info down as I could!
    Sorry fdidnt read that properly, its only for the full supper not just the chips - sorry!
  • traceytoo
    I think you ahve to be careful with stuff like this, it's really hard to find the true nutrional values of some foods especially take aways - look at this chart someone sent to me

Table 2 - Chip Shop Chips Calories and Nutrition per Serving (1 Serving=1 Reg Serving/400g) Calories 956
    Protein 12.8
    Carbohydrate 122
    Fat 49.6
    Fibre 8.8
    Alcohol 0

This one says 956 per 400 g ... and that is really not a lot.

Stick with some oven ones think you might be better off ????????
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Just short of a thousand calories was a bit closer to what I would have estimated.
  • It doesn't surprise me the reps of Fish and Chips supplied that number, it is grossly under the true calories. It reminds me of the cereals that give miniscule portion sizes for their calorie guides. A portion of chips is close to 600, no way fish and chips are 600. Unless you are being ripped off and given a a few fork fulls of chips and a fish the size of 3fish fingers, no way 600. The guide from independent sources is 230 cals and 13g fat from 100g chips, a standard portion is 400g=over 900cals and around 50g fat, a large portion is going to be 1.5times to double that- 1350cals to 1800 cals- this is chips only. Fish is thought of as healthy (ignoring pollutants) but unless you only eat the flesh and avoid all the batter, it is also high in calories and fat, almost as high as the chips. Don't delude yourselves fish and chips are healthy, they are better than the worst thing on the planet- macdonalds- but are not very different to other junk foods and pizza unless you have double pepperoni supersize and stuffed crust, is likely better in terms of cals and certainly fat. Trans fat is the worst and we should know by now trans comes from frying in oil. However, I like fish and chips- just save it for a treat, one junk meal per month, possibly every 2weeks is not too bad. It's when it's every few days or every week it's a problem because apart from not burning it off (with EXERCISE not diet, people!!) your body needs a good few days to recover from the toxic food. If you are loading yourself with junk as soon as you've got over the last load, you are not doing yourself any favours. My local chippie is great, but I don't get fish anymore. Besides the price, it's just too oily these days. When his chips are just right they're great, but you have to be careful you don't slip into the habit of going regularly- it's easily done, but there's a massive difference between fried and oven chips healthwise. Mashed potato and gravy gives me my fix mostly, no pie etc needed :)
This discussion has been closed.