Best Alcoholic Beverages?

Options
Hey all -

Since joining MFP, I've definitely cut back on the alcohol...

BUT I'm attending my cousin's wedding tomorrow and I'm sure the drinks will be flowing. I know I'll let myself splurge on a few drinks, but don't want to totally demolish my calories for the day. What are the best low calorie drink options you would recommend?

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Vodka water + lemon/lime. I swear by it. Vodka is light, and the drink has bite so you don't drink a ton, plus you are least putting water into your body too!

But if you can't do the straight water mix then diet mixers with light alcohols or light beers are best! Wine packs a lot of calories so beware!
  • james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    Get a Bacardi 151 and Diet Coke. After one or two of those you should be feeling pretty good. Although then you may not care what you drink when you get tipsy.
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Vodka
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My husband likes MGD 64. Not sure if you're a beer drinker, but those are decent.
  • tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'd definately stay away from beer. I think the average rum and diet coke is 65 cals. The fruity drinks are also a no no.
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    My new favorite=flavored vodka (or rum) and diet coke...so many options: cherry, berry, orange, whipped cream, vanilla, etc etc.
  • kmreynolds11
    kmreynolds11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions!!!
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    it isn`tso much the calories that are the problem but the carbs. You get carbs from the mixers and from beer.

Alcohol packs alot of calories, but it all gets burnt as energy/fuel, non of it get converted to fat. The carbs you drink along with your alcohol will get converted to fat though, so will the food you eat if you really indulge in alcohol.

So target zero carb drinks: rum and diet coke (any spirit + no carb mixer), dry gin martini (my favorite). Stay away from beer (ok have 1 or 2) and stay away from the juices and the sodas.

Straight shots are good too.
  • lauraleemcc
    Options
    jack daniels and diet ginger ale - 63 calories. I hardly ever spend my calories on any type of beverage any more- it is just not worth it :) but this isn't a bad choice.
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    I just went to the gym and earned about 672 extra calories so I could get my drink on for my birthday. But yea, stay away from beer. Vodka is a pretty good bet. rum and coke if you want to be a little naughty lol
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    I have found a Margarita mix from Walmart that is sweetened with Splenda. it only has 10 calories per serving, and I absolutely love them! not sure if that will help for the wedding, but for any other occasion they are great to have. if you like margaritas, I would get them to make you a fresh squeezed margarita, skinny girl style!!
  • rosiesparkle100
    Options
    White wine and soda: a spritzer! And no-one will know you are drinking one, and it will keep you hydrated, and it will last longer, and you will still get a bit tiddly! perfect :)
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    alcohol is 7 cals/gram. I would just try and not do much, because it is VERY high in cals.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    As far as rum goes ya'll, stay away from anything dark!!! Spiced rum & diet coke is 520 calories!...hello?
  • twinkier
    twinkier Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I dont really drink anything but if I am out with my hubby for a nice night on the town I would get something called woodchuck hard apple cider. Now that I am reading the calories in it. I say stay away. WOW!! Between 160-200 calories :drinker: ... I will truly make sure I do a double workout next time I go out.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    As far as rum goes ya'll, stay away from anything dark!!! Spiced rum & diet coke is 520 calories!...hello?

How much rum are you adding?! Captain Morgan Spiced Rum is 87 calories per 1.5 oz serving. So to get 520 calories, you'd need about 9 oz of rum. That's a lot of Cap'n!
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options

How much rum are you adding?! Captain Morgan Spiced Rum is 87 calories per 1.5 oz serving. So to get 520 calories, you'd need about 9 oz of rum. That's a lot of Cap'n!

I know right? lol I was thinking the same thing... I know when I make my mix drinks now, i actually measure them out. Before I would just dump it in. And... I doubt most folks use more then an entire can or soda to make a mix drink