"Ripped in 30" Jillian Michaels DVD Review

Options
katbass
katbass Posts: 351 Member
I didnt write this review myself (as I have never done this DVD), but I thought it might be helpful for those looking for something like the 30 Day Shred with a little twist :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jillian Michaels' fans requested more workouts in her three-two-one interval format (three minutes of strength work, two minutes of cardio, one minute on abs), and her newest DVD, "Ripped in 30," delivers just that.

The DVD consists of four 24-minute workouts of increasing intensity, with the idea that you do the first workout five or six times the first week, the second workout the second week, and so on. By the time you reach the fourth week, according to Michaels, you pretty much rule. However, she adds the caveat that no matter how hard you exercise, no matter how much you sweat, you can always (over)eat enough to negate the benefit.

And so, in addition to the familiarly formatted workouts, Michaels offers a 30-day diet plan that can be downloaded online (which, I discovered through much trial and error, cannot be found by navigating through the main site. You need to type in the exact URL that's provided briefly during Michaels' intro and on the 30-Day Meal Plan section of the DVD. You are not required to sign up for a free one-month membership to access it, even if you reach out to the site's customer service and that's what they suggest you do. Ahem.). In the meal plan, Michaels provides ideas and recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack, many of which include specific brands she recommends. It's certainly light and healthful but quite doable.

Considering the success of some of her previous DVDs, does this stand up to the challenge? Let's find out.

Level of Difficulty
Intermediate to advanced.

Next-Day Soreness
Moderate.

Who's It For?
As always with her DVDs, her fans will love her. Also, because the workouts are so short, they're a good choice for someone who's short on time.

Getting four different workouts in one DVD is a great value. Sure, they're all along the same lines, but it's a lot like going to the same step class over and over -- you're going to do some of the same moves but in different ways and in a different order. Plus, it's nice to have a week to get used to a workout then move on to something a little more difficult. True to form, Michaels works small muscle groups in conjunction with large ones to maximize your time. Michaels even rotates her assistants, which keeps things a little more interesting.

This time around, it seemed to me that Michaels gives extra focus to proper technique. She doesn't participate in the workouts all that much but really makes a point to say over and over again what good form looks like and what bad form to watch out for. And for nearly every move, she has one assistant show a modification while the other does a regular or advanced version, making even workout four appealing to a wider audience.

Dislikes
At the start, Michaels says to grab a set of weights -- one light and one heavy -- but I never heard her mention when to use which, so for the first workout, I just used one set (and, of course, I chose heavy, which I would not suggest for the entire workout. Ouch!).

And I believe I've said this before, but I don't like it when Michaels starts preaching about how we should harness this "can-do" attitude and use it in our everyday life. I definitely don't like that she does some variation of that at the end of every workout. But I'm sure it works for a lot of other people, and I can always hit the mute button.

Bottom Line
I don't know that this is actually more challenging that some of her other DVDs, like "30 Day Shred," but each workout is definitely intense, and considering you get four of them, you can't beat the value. I think the meal plan could be really helpful for people who are truly having a hard time figuring out how much they should consume each day, and many of the recipes and suggestions sound pretty tasty. It appears this is going to be one of the DVDs I keep in my library!

Replies

• lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    i was thinking of getting this so thanks for posting that!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I've got the DVD and have done it 2-3 times. I totally agree with this review! I think this one is a bit harder than the 30 day shred.
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    Thanks! I finished the shred, and just got this one......planning to start it Monday!
  • plc765
    plc765 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have this DVD and I am currently on day 3 of week two, and I love it! Jillian does a great job of explaining proper technique, and I actually love how in the second week, you see Shelly (one of the girls in the back) having a hard time with some of the exercises. Makes me feel like I am really getting a kicka$$ workout! I also downloaded the meal plan (which I had a hard time of doing so, and had customer service help me). Let me just say this: The customer service was outstanding! It is hard to come across great customer service nowadays, and they def surpassed it!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I recently got this DVD too and I really enjoy it! I especially like that there is 4 workouts, and they are actually about 30 min apiece (including warm up and cool down). It's a lot like the Shred.. so if anyone is on the fence about buying it - I'd say go for it.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I love it! (Even better than shred)

I like that it's more of a mix not repeating moves as much- less jumping jacks and great strength moves.

The ab moves are killer.

It's a must buy! :drinker:
  • SarahRabideau
    Options
    I just ordered it and it should arrive on Monday! I am so excited to start. I was able to workout with Jillian on her cruise, she kicked our *kitten* for 90 minutes. With that said I think I can handle 30 minutes :laugh:
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I love it!! I'm on week one day four & I can't wait to see what week two brings!! Never done any of her other dvd's, so I can't compare... But this one is definitely worth investing in :-)
  • plc765
    plc765 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love it!! I'm on week one day four & I can't wait to see what week two brings!! Never done any of her other dvd's, so I can't compare... But this one is definitely worth investing in :-)

Week two is insane as well! Watch as Shelly (in the back) has a tough time getting through the workout. It really makes me feel like I am getting a great workout. Today is my last day on week two....tomorrow is week three..ahhhhhhhhh!!
  • sb1023
    sb1023 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i just finished day 1 one week two and there were a lot of moves i had to modify and couldn't do! i'm feeling a bit flustered- but I'm hoping that just like the shred- that every day i'll get a little bit better. good luck to everyone!
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Just in case anyone is wondering, the meal plan is offered for free, and claims that the meals are approximately 400 calories each, with snacks coming in around 200, to total 1400. However... the dinner does not mention anything about veggies or starches and only offers a recipe for one item, for example "Turkey Kebabs", which have a caloric value of 183 cals approximately for 2... so you have to fill in the blanks yourself in terms of what/how much veggies you should be eating in order to have a healthy, rounded meal. I thought she would make mention of this perhaps at the introduction of the plan, but alas she doesnt. Just a heads up! :)