I don't believe it!

Options
How healthy is Subway REALLY?
I'm not sure if i believe it's that great.

Replies

• strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    if you stick away from the mayo and crazy adding stuff... it can be... but the sodium intake is insane....
  • shanhawk
    shanhawk Posts: 44
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily call it "healthy" but it's definately a better alternative to other fast food choices.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    The sandwiches are low calories but it's the sodium you have to watch out for. All fast food restaurants are terrible on sodium and this will make you retain water causing you to not lose weight. Hope this helps and good luck:)
  • Dutchgirly
    Dutchgirly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i always thought i would gain weight on the subway diet. after all, subs are short for submarines.
  • formytwins
    formytwins Posts: 106
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily call it "healthy" but it's definately a better alternative to other fast food choices.

I agree :happy:
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    i always thought i would gain weight on the subway diet. after all, subs are short for submarines.

lol hehehe
  • daddyd205
    Options
    you can make a subway sandwich really reasonable or really awful, depends on how you make it....
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/Files/CanNutritionValues.pdf&pli=1
  • Loveebbs
    Loveebbs Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    if you stick away from the mayo and crazy adding stuff... it can be... but the sodium intake is insane....

This! When I go there, I usually get a sandwich (Turkey or Ham) on wheat, no cheese or mayo, and load it with veggies.
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options

lolol i like this answer!
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    I used to work at subway for4 years and its really not all that great cut the meat is processed and the bread is not that great either well needless to say i used to create my own healthy versions and salads but u do have to watch the dressing and oil and vinegar....i like quiznos now which has fresh cut meats unlike subway which the meat and cheese stinks when u cut open the package....blah so thats my 2 cents!!!!!!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Well i guess if the meat is processed that explains why the sodium is soooo extremely high! Thanks for the heads up on that:)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The bread is super high in sodium but if you avoid any creamy dressings, it's a wonderful option if you are on the run.

Eat out more than 1x a week and don't want the sodium problem? Upgrade to a salad for .50-$1.50 more depending on location. Be sure to BYOD though cause their ranch is 370 cals or so.
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    I agree with what one person said. Subway is a good alternative compared to other fast foods. Subway has high sodium and if you eat anything with bread your carbs will shoot way up. But if you are on the go it's not horrible...
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The sandwiches are low calories but it's the sodium you have to watch out for. All fast food restaurants are terrible on sodium and this will make you retain water causing you to not lose weight. Hope this helps and good luck:)

That's only a temporary problem, you don’t need to avoid salt altogether in order to lose water weight that isn’t real fat anyway, it’s all in your mind. Occasional meals are fine, those with blood pressure problems need to worry but that’s not the op.

Even the veggie sub has 500 or so mg of sodium, ham has 1100 or so.

Sodium hype has gotten too huge an issue on MFP, it’s gotten into my brain now as well but the reality is #1 issues is fat (certain type and reducing the amount) #2 calories #3 exercise (which is only 20% of your weight-loss efforts) and it’s ok to modify up my ranking there. Sodium…. not nearly as big of a problem as obesity. I think we just focus on it to keep our mind off of binging, honest.
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    When I go to subway I get a veggie delight on wheat with all the veggies no cheese and when I get home I put a little bit of my newmans own light balsamic vinegarette on it. Tastes AWESOME and its about 460 calories....which is a lot but since I eat such a low calorie breakfast it works great for me if I am on the run
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If you don't get it all the time it's not bad. I get salads a lot of the time and that's under 200 calories and lower on carbs then. And stay away from their ham, it is packed with sodium.

If you ever want to know how healthy the options are, go to the food tab, then to database, and check to see what it looks like. I did that yesterday when I was debating between a sandwhich and salad. They have a lot of their sauces in the database too so you can get a good look at those as well.
  • daddyd205
    Options
    I've worked at subway as well, and a high ratio of the food there is processed or fake. The seafood sub used equal parts fake crab (I've worked in a fish plant that made similar stuff... you don't even want to know, I refuse to touch it) and mayo (yes, 1:1 when you mix it and then people often put mayo on top of that), same with the tuna. The flatbread is actually higher carb and calorie than the buns (totally counter-intuitive to me). Most of the dressings are terrible, if you have your own light italian, i'd use that since it carries next to nothing for calories and packs a lot of flavour. The steak and cheese meat looks horrific coming out of the frozen box. At least one of the two mayo types is not mayo at all, it's sold as "light mayo type dressing". Never add salt to any subway sandwich, they already have more than enough (especially if there is any meat on it). If I recall correctly, the cold cut combo uses turkey ham, turkey pepperoni and turkey salami, which while unexpected, shouldn't be so bad except that I'm pretty sure that it's just loaded with sodium (confirmed, 1450mg for a 6") and nitrates/nitrites, probably not as bad as the Italian BMT, but not good regardless.

Do your own comparisons and totals at subways nutritional info site: http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/nutritionlist.aspx?id=sandwich . You'll likely be surprised at some of the worst calorie offenders.

All that said, there are a lot worse choices out there. Do a little research from the link above and you'll have enough info to make better choices.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I noticed the chicken breast looked like pressed corkboard instead of chicken-it is sooo obviously chicken bits pressed into a patty-shape.
    One time the girl behind the counter told me not to believe the labels either-even though the bottle said light mayo, she said they stopped ordering it and were using regular mayo in place...
  • daddyd205
    Options
    The pressed chicken patties (with fake grilling marks) are brought up to temperature in the microwave each day then kept warm in a steam/hot water bin.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    ew... compressed chicken patties... :sick:

If all you want for lunch is a chicken baguette or turkey sandwich, why not just make one at home yourself and that way you know what's in it?? Or is that too radical? :huh: