Sodium

Options
Hi

I keep reading that everyone needs to watch their sodium levels. So I have put this as one of my things to monitor/see in my food diary.

It recommends I should eat 2500, but I have reached 500 each day (only started to record properly on Monday). Is I be trying to eat more? or is it ok if it low? Also what would I eat? Does anyone know what this means.

Im going to have a little look at other peoples diary's now.

Thanks

Replies

• dawn454
    dawn454 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious as to what you eat? I try and watch mine and have a hard time staying under 1500.
  • dawn454
    dawn454 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just peeked at your diary and it kind of looks like not all the sodium is up. Pretty much any bread will have sodium as well as potatoe wedges< i'm no expert but I think maybe some of the items are innacurate.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I just peeked at your diary and it kind of looks like not all the sodium is up. Pretty much any bread will have sodium as well as potatoe wedges< i'm no expert but I think maybe some of the items are innacurate.
    I agree .. My bread is whole wheat.. and still contains 330mg (roughly)
    You may wanna take a 2nd look.. I fight daily to keep my sodium in the right place!
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Health.gov dietary guidelines say no more than 2500mg and no less than 500mg. Anywhere in between in okay for most people.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yeah your sodium counts look way off. The homemade pancakes and cupcakes are sure to have some sodium in them. If you add something from the database and it doesn't have sodium listed, you might want to check again.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and based on the breads and tinned items I saw with ) in the sodium column, I suspect the nutrition information is incomplete on these items. Do your packages have sodium information in the UK? If not, it will be hard to track this nutrient in packaged foods. The best way to stay low in sodium is to fill your diet with as many homemade items as you can. Packaged food must be preserved, and that is primarily done with sodium.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I watch my sodium fairly well, and keeping it to 1500ish requires paying attention. Definitely seems like a few things you are logging don't show any sodium at all - something that seems to happen here and there. Some people will enter the food into the database, but once they get past calories and fat, just don't input anything else. I try to check the calories, fat, sodium, and one other item in the MFP entry vs the package just to make sure I'm getting all the right details.

Even with some incorrect info in there, it still seems like you are in good shape sodium-wise, and aren't going over by any stretch. You just need to make sure your items are a little more accurate, but you seem to be doing fine.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for that.

I just presumed what was stored in the database included everything, that makes sence then. I will double check when I add things.

Thanks.x