TOFU - HELP!!!

Options
ladyjh578
ladyjh578 Posts: 207
I am new to tofu. Just bought some 2 days ago..............WHAT DO I DO WITH IT???????..HAHA

I need super yummy recipes to get me to LOVE it and turn away from meat. I have been eating many more fruits and veggies and shopping at the health food store for mostly organic ingredients.
I prefer a recipe to be fairly simple since this is my first attempt at this............

BRING ON THE IDEAS PLEASE!!!!!!!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Don't eat it lol Tofu is a highly processed version of the soy bean. It's like eating processed cheese instead of fresh gouda.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    pretend its chicken !
    stir-fry it, its the simplest way to start using tofu in the beginning.

is it firm, extra firm, ?

tofu is Delish !
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Don't eat it lol Tofu is a highly processed version of the soy bean. It's like eating processed cheese instead of fresh gouda.

eillamarie,
    Do you have a recommendation instead of tofu? I know a lot of vegetarians eat it instead of meat for protein. Out organic tofu be better?
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    You can use it any way you would use meat.
  • chasing_130
    chasing_130 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    stir fried tofu is reallyyy good. i sugguest that.

steamed tofu is gross though. it melts in your mouth. blahhh.
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    Cut it into strips and bake it in the oven at 400 degrees until brownish, then flip it (it might stick so put it on foil and spray cooking spray on the foil). Then dip it in marinara sauce for a good snack reminiscent of mozzerella sticks! You can buy herbed tofu too that is even better this way!

Or crumble it up and put it in spaghetti sauce or anything creamy to add protein.

Or get the less firm kind and blend it with peanut butter, cocoa powder, and sugar and/or splenda for a yummy pudding.

Generally it's all about how you COOK tofu, espesh in stir fry and stuff - I think it's so nasty when it is slimy, but delicious when it's more crispy on the outside. I find baking is the easiest most healthy way to achieve this. Frying also works, ;-).
  • kendallan
    kendallan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i wnt fruit smoothies like a banana, some berries and one other fruit then add some water and some tofu. its a good smoothie for your morning with the added protein. you can do like stir fry but instead of the meat you use tufu. or you can scramble up the tofu and use them as scrambled eggs with some organic salsa and green peppers.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Ma Po Tofu

This recipe for ma po tofu, a Chinese stir-fry, is simple to make and good for you too. In addition to tofu's potential health benefits for women, it may also help protect against prostate cancer. Depending on how much chili garlic sauce you use, you can customize the heat in this mix of lean ground pork, tofu, and Asian spices. Add a side of chilled melon and a cold glass of dry riesling for a satisfying supper.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup rice, about 2/3 cup tofu mixture, and about 1 tablespoon onions)

Ingredients
    1 (1-pound) package reduced-fat firm tofu, cut into 6 slices
    1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon oyster sauce
    1 to 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
    4 ounces lean ground pork
    1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups hot cooked long-grain brown rice
    1/3 cup chopped green onions
    Preparation
    Place tofu slices on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Place a dinner plate on top of covered tofu; let stand 30 minutes. Remove plate; discard paper towels. Cut tofu slices into 1/2-inch cubes.

Combine broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and chili garlic sauce, stirring with a whisk.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook 4 minutes or until done, stirring to crumble. Add ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tofu; cook 4 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add broth mixture to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.

Serve tofu mixture over rice. Sprinkle with onions.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    290 (26% from fat)
    Fat:
    8.4g (sat 1.9g,mono 2.5g,poly 3.3g)
    Protein:
    21.5g
    Carbohydrate:
    32.5g
    Fiber:
    4.6g
    Cholesterol:
    21mg
    Iron:
    2.8mg
    Sodium:
    390mg
    Calcium:
    72mg
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Make sure you bought the right kind of tofu for what you want to make. Make sure it's extra firm and NOT the silken texture (you should be able to crumble it between your fingers). I recommend buying it at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or Asian markets. Then cut it into chunks and stir fry with a little oil until it's golden brown on all sides. Then add the rest of your veggies and sauce for making a stir-fry. The tofu absorbs the flavors of what you cook it with, so it's best to cook it first and leave it in the pan while you cook the rest.

You can also put tofu (mix of extra firm and soft) into a blender with lemon juice, garlic, basil, and oregano. Blend until smoothie consistency, and use it as a replacement for ricotta cheese in lasagna and manicotti recipes.

One more idea...mash extra firm tofu with a fork. Add in some avocado, spring onions, and a splash of soy sauce or Bragg's Amino Acids and put it into a whole wheat pita. It's a healthier version of egg salad.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Vanilla Honey-Nut Smoothie

Flaxseed boosts heart health and may enhance vision. You can find it in health-food stores already ground. Or grind whole flaxseed in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle. Store it in the refrigerator or freezer to keep it fresh. Enjoying this smoothie also helps you meet your daily calcium needs.

Yield: 3 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients
    2 cups vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt
    1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
    1/2 cup fat-free milk
    1/3 cup cubed soft silken tofu
    1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (optional)
    Preparation
    Combine the first 6 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Sprinkle with flaxseed, if desired.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
    270 (30% from fat)
    Fat:
    9g (sat 2.8g,mono 2.7g,poly 2g)
    Protein:
    9.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    41.5g
    Fiber:
    0.6g
    Cholesterol:
    14mg
    Iron:
    1.8mg
    Sodium:
    117mg
    Calcium:
    250mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Chocolate Mousse

Yield: 8 servings
    Ingredients
    3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
    1 (12.3-ounce) package reduced-fat extra-firm tofu
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 large egg whites
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    Fat-free whipped topping, thawed (optional)
    Grated chocolate (optional)
    Preparation
    Place chocolate and tofu in a food processor or blender, and process 2 minutes or until smooth.

Place salt and egg whites in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 238°. Pour the hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed. Gently stir one-fourth of meringue into the tofu mixture; gently fold in remaining meringue. Spoon 1/2 cup mousse into each of 8 (6-ounce) custard cups. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours. Garnish with whipped topping and grated chocolate, if desired.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    147 (34% from fat)
    Fat:
    5.6g (sat 3.3g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.5g)
    Protein:
    5.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    22.5g
    Fiber:
    0.2g
    Cholesterol:
    0.0mg
    Iron:
    0.9mg
    Sodium:
    134mg
    Calcium:
    26mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Tofu Fruit Smoothie

Yield: 3 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
    Ingredients
    1 cup frozen mixed berries
    1/2 cup white grape juice
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 firm ripe banana, peeled and sliced
    1 (12.3-ounce) package light silken tofu (such as Mori-Nu)
    Preparation
    Place all ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    145 (7% from fat)
    Fat:
    1.2g (sat 0.3g,mono 0.2g,poly 0.6g)
    Protein:
    8g
    Carbohydrate:
    27.6g
    Fiber:
    2g
    Cholesterol:
    0.0mg
    Iron:
    1.6mg
    Sodium:
    101mg
    Calcium:
    61mg
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Tofu is pretty plain by itself, but it absorbs flavor like a sponge. So marinate it in something, and cook it up.. add it to stir fry, look up recipes online for "Tofu Nuggets" which are suppose to be like chicken nuggets, but I'll warn you the texture is different!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Fry thin strips of it in sunflower oil until very crispy, then add in a bit of soy sauce. Tastes like bacon.

I mostly only use tofu for making vegan cheese. Seitan is a better meat sub, imo.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Compost.
  • xrayeyeskatie
    Options
    Wrong, tofu is very good for you!!
  • xrayeyeskatie
    Options
    Eggplant and TOFU curry

3 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
    1 med. onion, sliced
    5 cloves garlic
    1 3-inch piece of ginger, peeled
    1 jalapeno pepper (remove seeds)
    1 14-ounce can of whole plum tomatoes
    2 japanese eggplants, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
    12 ounces firm TOFU, cut into 1/2 inch cubes patted dry
    2 cups spinach
    kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    Rice, optional for serving

1. Heat 1 Tablespoon veg. oil in a pot over med.-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, puree the garlic,ginger,jalapeno and 1 to 2 Tablespoons water in a mini food processor until it forms a paste. Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice, coarsely crush the tomatoes in another bowl.
    2. Add the remaining 2 Tablespoons veg. oil and the eggplant to the pot, cook 2 minutes. Add the garlic-ginger paste and cook stiring for 2 minutes. Add the curry powder and tomatoes (but not the juice) and cook stiring 1 minute. Add the tomato jucie and 1 cup of water, cook until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk and TOFU; simmer until eggplant is very tender, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until it is wilted, about 1 minute. season with salt and pepper. Serve with rice if sesired.

Calories per serving: 335, FAT 28g, Cholesterol 0mg, sodium 91mg, Carb: 17g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 14g
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options

<rant>
    hmm..really? really? discouraging tofu..seems like you'll find anything on the internet these days. if you're SO concerned with your tofu being 'processed' never mind the fact that at least in america most foods are processed unless you made them yourself from scratch (no bag flour and no bag sugar!) and even then only from organic vegetables (non-GMO and from a farmers market - you know they put wax and preservatives on fresh vegetables in stores right...??) - forget meat unless you basically raised it in your backyard and fed it only the natural food that it would eat in the wild that you grew yourself...
    COME ON!
    tofu is fine. it's been a part of asian culture since forever and yes.... you CAN make it yourself ...(from scratch! omg, not processed). i get the idea, i avoid processed foods myself but i feel like avoiding tofu for this reason is kind of ridiculous. if that's really your logic and you're on an absolutely non-processed foods diet... GREAT!!! i'm so happy for you. but if you eat any kind of meat from a store, dairy from a store, wheat from a store.. anything that ever came in a bag or a box..get off your soapbox please...........
    </rant>

if you want to just eat simple tofu cut it into chunks and boil it or put it in a pan with a scant amount of olive oil and fry it until it's golden brown. i prefer the latter so it has some texture other than jello.
  • eillamarie
    Options

eillamarie,
    Do you have a recommendation instead of tofu? I know a lot of vegetarians eat it instead of meat for protein. Out organic tofu be better?

Ya, that's the problem with being vegetarian. Every kind of tofu means the soy bean has been highly processed (a soy bean resembles a pea/pea pod....then it is made to look like the various types of tofu). Eat edamame (the soy bean) for your protein.
  • eillamarie
    Options

<rant>
    hmm..really? really? discouraging tofu..seems like you'll find anything on the internet these days. if you're SO concerned with your tofu being 'processed' never mind the fact that at least in america most foods are processed unless you made them yourself from scratch (no bag flour and no bag sugar!) and even then only from organic vegetables (non-GMO and from a farmers market - you know they put wax and preservatives on fresh vegetables in stores right...??) - forget meat unless you basically raised it in your backyard and fed it only the natural food that it would eat in the wild that you grew yourself...
    COME ON!
    tofu is fine. it's been a part of asian culture since forever and yes.... you CAN make it yourself ...(from scratch! omg, not processed). i get the idea, i avoid processed foods myself but i feel like avoiding tofu for this reason is kind of ridiculous. if that's really your logic and you're on an absolutely non-processed foods diet... GREAT!!! i'm so happy for you. but if you eat any kind of meat from a store, dairy from a store, wheat from a store.. anything that ever came in a bag or a box..get off your soapbox please...........
    </rant>

if you want to just eat simple tofu cut it into chunks and boil it or put it in a pan with a scant amount of olive oil and fry it until it's golden brown. i prefer the latter so it has some texture other than jello.

Tofu is highly processed (meaning it looks and tastes nothing like it's origional form). Yes there are worse things, but there is a healthier option (yes the Chinese are a very healthy society, but unless you're eating your tofu in China, you're not getting the same quality that they get). There was no need for the condescending tone of your response.