is it better or worse if I am eating less than the 1,200 cal

Options
i've been eating a little bit less than the calorie amount suggested...am I doing more harm than good?

Replies

• lindizzzy
    lindizzzy Posts: 29
    Options
    i've been eating a little bit less than the calorie amount suggested...am I doing more harm than good?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    You should never eat less than 1200 calories. That is the minimum amount recommended not only by MFP but by the government and other dietary guidelines.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on what you mean by a little less?
    Like 10 or 20 tops or 50 to 100 and more?
    --Diann...
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    it also depends on what you've set as your weight target. If you've set 2lbs a week you really should be sticking to the calories or erring on the side of a couple of cals over especially if you exercise. If you've selected 1 or 1.5lbs a week loss, going a little under on your calories (but not by more than 100 or so) won't do you any harm.
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think in all this....calories burned, consumed, etc.....we need to remember it isn't an exact science. EVERYTHING in the human body fluctuates....you'll never get the exact blood sugar or blood pressure two times back to back. As a unit, it is designed to maintain homeostasis.....so some systems work more one day, one hour, one mintue, others the next. For example, you might not be able to eat the FDA recommended amount of B12 in one day, but over a three day period you get the intake and it balances out.
    Now, this website is just estimating food and calorie energy quantities. It works because people are being accountable for their actions, seeing what their putting in their body and how much it takes to work it off.

Good luck....don't starve your body and be healthy.
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    I am usually a hundred or so calories short everyday. I chalk it up to underestimating my portions. I try not to have more than 200 left a day, unless I have a really intense workout later in the day..

58910.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • pack533
    pack533 Posts: 224
    Options
    I am also having a hard time get 1200 calories in. When I first started counting my calories I was only getting between 500 and 700. I am now with really watching it getting 900 to 1100 calories. The trainer at my Gym says that you have to get 1200 calories or your body will start thinking that it is starving.

Good luck:smile:
  • lindizzzy
    lindizzzy Posts: 29
    Options
    thanks for all the great answers!
  • Fifty
    Fifty Posts: 17
    Options
    i was so stund about drinking water everyday,i read my magazine and it said not to bother unless your thirsty don"t force yourself to 8 glasses.I'm so confused?help!!!
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    i was so stund about drinking water everyday,i read my magazine and it said not to bother unless your thirsty don"t force yourself to 8 glasses.I'm so confused?help!!!

it is important to have a balance of foods, etc.....Your body needs water, fat, protein, etc.....if you don't replenish those stores....the body realized it's needs and hold onto water and fat particularly....so these extreme fat free diets just cause you to hold on to fat....same thing with water.....your body needs it to function! There is a formula for how much water you need....body weight X .5....that is what you need for daily maintanance.....if you exercise or drink alcohol, you need even more.....

Hope this helps!