Hunger or Habit

Options
If I only ate when I was hungry, I would be normal weight.

I’ve known this truth for a long time, but it’s becoming more and more clear as days go by.

Entering my food diligently in my diary, as I eat it, has been helpful and provided a lot of insight. As I enter, I ask myself:
- Why are you eating now?
- Are you feeling hungry?
- Are you Happy? Sad? Angry?

What I’m finding, is I most frequently eat either when I *think* I should be eating or when I’m bored. If I am facing a mundane task (like a 3-4 project at my desk), I want to eat. It seems to have nothing to do with hunger. When I’m bored, I find myself drifting to the refrigerator. When it’s ‘lunchtime’, I find myself preparing food whether or not I’m hungry.

I have seen some benefit in scheduled meals. Small meals, spread frequently throughout the day. If I could stick to their schedule, I’d be fine…. But even with that structure, I find myself still bored-eating.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Replies

• gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Don't be bored.

Easy, right? ;-)

Find yourself a hobby: puzzles, take up playing guitar, gardening, bonzai. Anything that fills the free time that allows you to be bored.

And don't just do it to do it. Find something that you're passionate about so you WANT to do the other things rather than eat.

Most of all, want the right choices for yourself!