Is the treadmill and bike calorie readings accurate?

proverbs31chick
proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
So I do the treadmill for 45 minutes and it says I burned 360 calories, I don't have a HRM at this time, so sometimes I don't log what the treadmill says. What should I do, its kind of annoying, how many calories should I knock off until I get an HRM??

Replies

• emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Depends on what info you inputted into the machine, and if you took any heart rate readings on the machine (if it's capable).
    Sometimes when I am on a machine (even with a constant heart rate reading), the difference between the machine and my HRM can be almost 100 calories - which is so so depressing.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    I'd say 360 was a fair enough number for 45 minutes. In my case, my HRM is usually a lot higher than the machine readings or what mfp states. So until you have an HRM, go with that.
  • My bike has the heart rate sensors, but the calories burned are usually WAY higher on my bike then on MFP, so I usually just go with MFP.
  • It's usually a decent measure, although not too close to the exact number an individual is burning... even when you put in your age info and weight, the number of cals burned displayed can be quite off from the real number, depending of your fitness level..
    I would still use that number tough - it is as good as it gets..and helps in keeping track without using something like a bodybugg..
  • cshine06
    cshine06 Posts: 139 Member
    My calorie burn on my HRM is always about 1/2 way off. If I burn 230 on the machine my HRM will say 400.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    My HRM tells me I burn more than the machine does. depending on the workout its 5 - 100 calories different. if you have the option on the machine enter you weight and age the Precore machines at my university allow you to do this to get a more accurate calorie burn.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Depends on what info you inputted into the machine, and if you took any heart rate readings on the machine (if it's capable).
    Sometimes when I am on a machine (even with a constant heart rate reading), the difference between the machine and my HRM can be almost 100 calories - which is so so depressing.

I do in put my weight, but that is all it asks for, I do it on hill intrevals level 8, maybe that is why it is high, i am sweating a lot when i get off
This discussion has been closed.