Moving while doing ab work?

Options
Hello again,

I feel like I'm posting too much, but anyways... :)

I notice that when I am doing ab work like pike crunches my body moves down on every rep that I make. Does anyone else have this problem? I start out at the top of the mat and by the time I'm done my shirt us up around my chest and I'm at the end of the mat. What am I doing wrong??

Also, those KILL my back. Same with scissor kicks. I guess my abs just aren't that strong yet...

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I've read that those are the worst for your lower back. They hurt me too, and I move on the mat as well. I always had pain after those ab workouts. The window washer ones hurt too. My advice, find an alternative. You can google and find something on some of the fitness websites for other things. Even if you just search, "low back pain while doing ab exercises" you can probably get alternatives.
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Well I end up bending my legs if it hurts too much, I can still feel it in my abs so it must be working. And ITA about the windshield washers.

I don't know how those girls in the JM's videos don't move during those exercises!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Look up some exercises that work your tranverse abs. Those are the deepest layer of muscles that are responsible for making a flat tummy and holding all of your organs in. Most are easy and require little actual movement, but are extremely effective for strengthening those muscles.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Your back really shouldn't be working if you're doing them properly. You should be using your abs to keep your lower back flat against the ground. It's a lot harder, but a LOT more effective. If you can't do this at this point, put your palms on the mat and put your hands under your butt. This will help with support. Some people also have an easier time engaging their abs if they pick their head up off the mat (look at the ceiling, not your abs, otherwise you can strain your neck).
  • shmarlyboo
    Options
    Im not exactly sure what a "pike crunch" is but as far as moving down the mat, certain mat exercises will do that. Well it happens to me so you aren't alone. As for scissor kicks, try placing your hands under your butt right below your lower back. This should help with the lower back pain and also gives you a little more rotation so you can work your abs a little harder. If this is what you are doing and its not helping, I would try a different workout. Good luck! :)