help with turkey burgers.

Options
I need advise on how to make the best moist turkey burgers. Does anyone have a recipe they will share? Do you grill, saute, or bake? HELP please...

Replies

• mlharris
    mlharris Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    grate veggies into it, or apple as well....
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    I always saute and they turn out well
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I want to know too.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i saute
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    We like to broil ours... we throw some cheese and cut up veggies into the meat and throw them in the broiler and they always taste really good...
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    grill. That is the way I do it. I also find that if I take them out of the fridge about 45 minutes before they go on the grill they are a little juicier. You can add about 1/4 c. apple juice into the mixture of turkey.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just made some the other day and I put a little Italian bread crumbs, garlic powder, and oregano into the mix and everyone loved them! :)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    I just made some the other day and I put a little Italian bread crumbs, garlic powder, and oregano into the mix and everyone loved them! :)
    that sounds really good
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I made these burgers the other night:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/157360-buffalo-turkey-burgers-with-chili-sweet-potato-fries

I cooked them in a frying pan, and they were awesome!! (I would cut back on the parsley next time around, though)
  • jdpet
    jdpet Posts: 17
    Options
    pan fry........melt some fat free mozzerella......put it on a Thomas's everything bagel thin
  • cruzanna
    cruzanna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make mine with salsa and grated Monterey jack cheese. Either grill or sauté. Yummy! 1/4 cup salsa and 1/2 cup cheese per pound of ground turkey. 230 cals. per 1/4 pound burger.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with fresh chopped coriander and fresh chillis and either dry fry them or put them in the halogen and they are so nice .
  • davebarron
    Options
    As others have said, veggies are the key. I like this recipe that uses tomato and onion :

1 pound ground turkey breast
    1 large tomato chopped fine
    1 medium onion chopped very fine
    1/4 cup oatmeal
    1/4 cup egg substitute or 1 egg
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon garlic powder or crushed garlic
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon basil
    1 teaspoon rosemary
    1 teaspoon red pepper (optional)

Mix well by hand, divide into 8 balls, and make 1/2 inch thick patties. Grease nonstick frying pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil, heat on high, fry 4 patties at a time on both sides to sear then turn down to medium low and cook another 10 or 15 minutes until done, turning often to prevent sticking. Serve with a bit of heated spaghetti or tomato sauce and fresh grated parmesan.
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Grill! I usually throw in a couple of shakes of soy sauce or barbeque sauce, but if you're trying to eliminate the calories and sodium from traditional marinades, try lemon juice! Also, a few tablespoons of black beans in the mix adds moisture and nutrition!
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    SPINACH FETA TURKEY BURGERS
    1 lb lean ground turkey (at least 90%)
    1 cup (80g) Old Fashioned Oats
    2 large egg whites
    10 oz frozen chopped spinach
    1/2 cup (68g) ATHENOS crumbles feta (I used Black Peppercorn)
    The first thing you need to do is prep the spinach. If you don’t have a 10oz package defrosted simply put it in a strainer and run it under water. It will defrost in no time. Once it’s defrosted, squeeze as much liquid as you can out and add it and the rest of the ingredients to a bowl. Combine using your hands. Don’t overwork, just mix it until all the ingredients merge. Form into 8 patties each about 100g each. Grill until cooked through! They took about 9 minutes on my goerge foreman. Be sure to spray with some non-stick cooking spray to avoid sticking.
    Servings Amt per Serving
    8 1 patty
    Calories Fat Fiber
    135 3g 2g
    Sugar Sat Fat Carbs Protein
    1g 1g 9g 19g

SOUTHWESTERN TURKEY BURGERS

8oz extra Lean Ground Turkey
    1/3 of a red bell pepper diced small
    1/3 of a green bell pepper diced small
    1/3 of a yellow bell pepper diced small
    ½ of a small onion diced small
    1 medium button mushroom diced small
    1 egg white
    ¼ cup quick oats
    1 tsp chili powder
    ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
    ½ tsp cumin
    1 tsp dried cilantro
    Salt & pepper
    Put all ingredients in a bowl and combine with hands. Form the mixture into 4 equal sized patties approximately 4 ounces each. Grill about 4-5 minutes a side or about 6 minutes on the George Forman Grill.

Servings Amount per Serving Calories Fat Fiber
    4 1 turkey patty 100 2g 2g

Both of these recipes come from GREENLITEBITES.COM
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i mix salsa (in the place of eggs - it's the "binder"), crushed baked tostitos (instead of bread crumbs), shredded cheddar and whatever spices i'm in the mood for in my ground turkey then either grill or broil. if you really want to get creative, you can add black beans & corn in them.
  • forgiven4life
    Options

SOUTHWESTERN TURKEY BURGERS

8oz extra Lean Ground Turkey
    1/3 of a red bell pepper diced small
    1/3 of a green bell pepper diced small
    1/3 of a yellow bell pepper diced small
    ½ of a small onion diced small
    1 medium button mushroom diced small
    1 egg white
    ¼ cup quick oats
    1 tsp chili powder
    ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
    ½ tsp cumin
    1 tsp dried cilantro
    Salt & pepper
    Put all ingredients in a bowl and combine with hands. Form the mixture into 4 equal sized patties approximately 4 ounces each. Grill about 4-5 minutes a side or about 6 minutes on the George Forman Grill.

Servings Amount per Serving Calories Fat Fiber
    4 1 turkey patty 100 2g 2g

Both of these recipes come from GREENLITEBITES.COM

These are great!! I made them this weekend and they turned out very well.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I take them right out of the packet (premade patties) and sprinkle with seasoning and put in the oven on convection bake. They are moist and way better than regular burgers I think. My secret to any moist meat is the fact that I have a convection oven and I use it for everything. I would not know what to do without it!!!!!!!!!!
  • missybda
    missybda Posts: 15
    Options
    Find a lower cal goat cheese with sundried tomatoes or some flavor you enjoy. Make two thin patties put a tbsp or 2 of goat cheese in center on one and put the other on top and seal all the way around. Bake or saute but make sure you seal edges well.4843126.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • sherold
    sherold Posts: 4
    Options
    I grill mine and they are soooo good. I do a 1lb of ground turkey, a small can of mushrooms with no salt (drained) and 1 cup of fat free shredded mozzerella. Even my 7 yr old daughter loves them! I usually serve them on light hamburger rolls, but sandwich thins are good with them too!