iPad 2 - help!

Options
HMKan
HMKan Posts: 472 Member
Hey guys. I was wondering about the iPad 2 vs. the iPad and figured what better place to ask the masses than the forum.

I'm thinking about getting an iPad for my husband for his birthday next week.

I really like the that iPad 2 has cameras for skype use and, I assume, picture taking? I also like that it's slimmer.

I know nobody has an ipad 2 yet (at least nobody near me - not out until 5pm), but I also know that people tend to extensively research anything new apple puts out.

I know iPad 2 has a battery life of 10 hours (allegedly). How does this compare to iPad 1?

The iPad 2 comes out this afternoon. Will it sell out? Apple Store is (obviously) giving me the standard "we don't know what the demand will be" when I ask.

Should I go wait in line? Can I go over the weekend?

Anything you guys know would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have an iPad 1 & I love it! both versions have the same battery life (10 hours)... the price is the same for both, so why not get the new version? I would (if I didn't already have one)...

idk how soon you need it, but you can buy them online @ apple.com (if you don't want to wait in line)
  • TimKirkwood
    Options
    Sell out, Yes. Twitter is full of pictures of lines forming at stores already.

battery life is about the same.

Cameras will take pics, video and video chat. No word on megapixel's yet

Thinner, bigger processor, and the cameras are the largest differences.

If money is tight, and you don't really think you need the cameras, then you could save the dough and get 1st gen. I have it, and love it.

You wont regret the purchase. :0)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I have the iPad 1 (I guess that's what I should call it now) ;)

I looked at what is coming on the iPad2, and didn't really think the upgrades were all that much? Maybe that's just me. I've never Skyped, so that isn't something I can comment on.

The original is already pretty light - I think the new one is only a couple of ounces lighter? My iPad battery has lasted at least 8 hours, if not longer. My niece watched movies and played games on it during a drive to Florida (8 hours), and it was fine.

It will probably sell out just because it is Apple. I personally would see if you can get a new first generation at a cheaper price. ;)
  • TimKirkwood
    Options
    I have an iPad 1 & I love it! both versions have the same battery life (10 hours)... the price is the same for both, so why not get the new version? I would (if I didn't already have one)...

idk how soon you need it, but you can buy them online @ apple.com (if you don't want to wait in line)

1st gen is $100 cheaper now with 2nd gen out today. refurbs on Apple site are even more discounted. :O)
  • TimKirkwood
    Options
    Refurb (like new condition) from Apple.com 32Gb wifi version is only $429 with free shipping.
  • HMKan
    Options
    I'm sort of toying with getting a 1gen for me and a iPad 2 for the Hubs (we don't do well when only one of us gets a new toy, lol).

uggghh. So this is gonna be one of THOSE apple experiences. I certainly wouldn't be able to get to an apple store tonight until probably 7, so if there's lines, I probably won't bother and will take my chances.

Any more info out there, I'd appreciate it!

Good to know the 1gens aren't that different, so I can't go wrong. We do skype a fair amount with family, so I think one of us having a camera would be ideal.

I do think I'd only get the Wifi ones though because we can activate mobile hotspots on our droids if we ever really needed to browse from the iPad when not near wifi. or we could just use our phones, lol.
  • HMKan
    Options
    Refurb (like new condition) from Apple.com 32Gb wifi version is only $429 with free shipping.

Where are you getting this information? I have been trying to look at the 1gens and it takes me straight to iPad 2, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Nevermind I just found the refurb section. Do we think this is the "lower" price due to the new one coming out? Or do we think this price will go lower at 5pm?
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I didn't get the 3G. No use for it and I can activate a hotspot if needed. The price has already dropped I think. I also know Sams club carriesvthem
  • snookemz
    snookemz Posts: 82
    Options
    I didn't get the 3G. No use for it and I can activate a hotspot if needed. The price has already dropped I think. I also know Sams club carriesvthem

thats something worth calling and verifying, the 2 Sam's clubs by my houses don't carry ipods, iphones, ipads, macs - nothing apple. When I got my last phone (Sam's has much lower prices than the AT&T store) I got to hear my poor sales guy being screamed at (literally) by a girl who wanted an ipad and said she was PROMISED by people online that they did have it. Poor sales guy.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I had to do a bunch of research on this for my boss (CEO of a larger corp.) and what I found is that it might be better to get the iPad instead of the iPad2. There weren't many significant changes made to it, and with the new cost the iPad 2, it might be cheap to get just an iPad. Check out this link; it is very helpful: http://www.komando.com/ipad2/