Hi.

JDWBrown
JDWBrown Posts: 16
edited September 24 in Introduce Yourself
I am new here and trying to lose an extensive amount of weight. So I guess here goes.

I do have question: I have a friend who has asked me to join her in running a 5k in May. Whether I do or not, I would like to get to where I can run eventually. Do I have enough time to get into the shape I need to run in May?

Replies

• Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Yes, you can. Put your mind and body to it. I noticed your profile stated you have plantar fasciatis. My hubby does too and it is painful. But with the right support for your feet and exercised you can start running. It may take power walking for a while but you will have to push yourself. If you really want to accomplish this 5K goal then you have to really want it. Eat healthy, exercise and tell yourself you can. It is very realistic. A 5K is a little over 3 miles I believe, right? You have two months for that. Go online and look up workout plans to be able to do a 5K. I know they have a "From Couch to 5 mile" workouts available. It is going to be hard but the results will be amazing.
  • JDWBrown
    JDWBrown Posts: 16
    Thanks. I really want to do this. My daughter is in a pageant in May as well and I don't want to be "that fat mom" who must be living through her child. She actually wants to do these. Anyway, I appreciate it and I will look at that. I use to walk 3-5 miles daily when I was losing weight before and before the doctors started naming off all this stuff that's wrong. I want a change. I want to walk in and the dr say "Wow, I was wrong!"
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Look for a couch to 5k training program just google it and you will find lots of them. Most that I have seen are 6 weeks so you have time. I use the Galloway method of run/walking. When I started I ran 1 min. and walked a minute. Sign up for the race and that way you will be more committed. Have fun with the training and try to get some more people to join you and your friend. Make sure to harass(friendly) each other for skipping workouts. Having a few people makes it so you don't have to train alone. Make sure and let us know how your training is going and let us know about the race also. Sign up for your next race before you do your first one that way you have to keep training.

Go get fitted at a running store for shoes. Not a big box store but a real running store. Just tell them you are getting started and they will take care of you.

The race is a bonus the training is the important part. Have fun!!!
This discussion has been closed.