Can Anyone Help Me Understand?

Options
I've been using MFP since the New Year and have been making steady progress.

I weigh myself everyday, I know most people recommend once per week but this is what I've chosen to do and it's working for me. Helps keep me focussed and see that some progress is being made.

My first log was 1st Jan and it was 128.4kgs (283 lbs) and I steadily lost until 21st February and weighed in at 118.3kgs (260.8 lbs).Then I went away on holiday for one week. I made the decision to forget about this whole thing whilst away as it was a lads holiday with lots of drinking and nice resturants. When I came back I got a cold/flu for about a week and everything went out of the window!

Anyway I restarted last Friday 3rd Feb and I weighed in at 121kgs (266.75 lbs), I started making quick progress and this morning Friday 11th Feb I weight in at 116.9kgs (257.72 lbs) which means I have lost 4.1 kgs (9lbs) in one week!

How can such a loss be explained? I'm a bit worried as it seems like it's happening too fast. I was under the impression that loosing weight too fast is not healthy.

Can anyone help ?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP since the New Year and have been making steady progress.

I weigh myself everyday, I know most people recommend once per week but this is what I've chosen to do and it's working for me. Helps keep me focussed and see that some progress is being made.

My first log was 1st Jan and it was 128.4kgs (283 lbs) and I steadily lost until 21st February and weighed in at 118.3kgs (260.8 lbs).Then I went away on holiday for one week. I made the decision to forget about this whole thing whilst away as it was a lads holiday with lots of drinking and nice resturants. When I came back I got a cold/flu for about a week and everything went out of the window!

Anyway I restarted last Friday 3rd Feb and I weighed in at 121kgs (266.75 lbs), I started making quick progress and this morning Friday 11th Feb I weight in at 116.9kgs (257.72 lbs) which means I have lost 4.1 kgs (9lbs) in one week!

How can such a loss be explained? I'm a bit worried as it seems like it's happening too fast. I was under the impression that loosing weight too fast is not healthy.

Can anyone help ?

with the restaurants and drinking, your sodium levels were probably massive. Excess sodium usually causes water weight gain, and you can gain upwards of 10 or more lbs in water weight (I have). Keep working hard and eating right, I'm sure it'll level off and return to the normal rate in a few weeks.
  • ndetlefsen
    ndetlefsen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    just take it for that it is and keep on going. Eat well and exercise. You'll get there!! Great progress so far.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add. SHBoss said it. But I weigh myself everyday. It taught me to get over the number obsession, I can see my weekly fluctuations and I lose in .2-.4 increments so I get to see that, too.
  • jantenor
    jantenor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I'm not a nutritionist, by any means, but I know that in my experience I have "Easy come - easy go!" Which means if I have a slurge or a binge, and I gain 5 pounds seeminly overnight, those same pounds will come off almost as rapidly once I start eating correctly. I think the body retains fluid more than fat when there's a change in the routine, and then you shed fluids/water once you adjust your eating.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    With a larger amt of weight to lose, one can lose a good amt in a short amt of time just with watching what you eat due to many reasons - but even for myself (who is only 5 lbs from goal weight), I can lose up to 5 lbs in a few days just b/c of water retention. So if you are not starving yourself, I wouldn't worry too much about the large weight loss.

Great job getting back on the wagon! I hope you had a fun holiday!
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    sounds to me like your eating out and drinking gave you water retention. Then when you got home and finally got back on a good rutine it all flushed out is all.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Ha!

Ok, thanks everyone....water retention - I never even thought/considered that before in my life. I've had a few ex's complain about this now I know what they were on about!

I don't add any salt to anything normally so eating out has probably been the cause and maybe the cold/flu medication.

Cheers
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I am thinking it is water gain which means you will lose it quicker. Just keep doing what you are doing, and you will slow down in your weight loss.