Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Which Bike Is Better?

I'm looking into joining the bike program at my college where they literally give you a brand new bike if you agree to not drive your car during the non-winter seasons. Cool right?! But I have the choice between two different bikes and I'm not sure which one is the better choice. I'd like to take this bike to school (20 miles there and back) and on my trip this summer, biking from Chicago to St. Louis. Which one would be the better choice for my adventures?

Specialized Crosstrail (hybrid style) standard features:

* Aluminum frame, wheels and double-sealed hubs
* 21 speed with handlebar lever shifters
* Front fork shock absorber with 75 mm travel
* Sport saddle *
* 700c sport tires for both road and trail
* Quick release front and rear wheels
* One inner frame mount for optional accessory (e.g. water bottle)
* Adjustable forward riding position
* Kickstand
* Rear Rack

*Optional front and rear fenders, different seats and chain guard (available through dealer at discounted cost, if desired)

- OR -

Giant Cypress (commuter style) standard features:

* ALUXX-Grade Aluminum Frame
* InSync Suspension
* Alloy Adjustable Stem
* Alloy MDU Suspension 27.2
* Giant Comfort Groove Plus Gel, Supersoft Saddle
* Nylon/Kraton Comfort Platform Pedals
* Kenda, 700x38, Multi-Surface Tires
* Kickstand
* Rear Rack

I believe they are Schwin bikes - but I may be mistaken. Either way, which one would you chose?!

Replies

• SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    I would like to know as well. Buying a bike here soon and want a good one to ride all over town!
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Go with the specialized hybrid. That way if you decide you want to ride longer distances it won't be as tough as on a commuter bike. The hybrid is closer to a road bike which you would definitely want on a long ride.
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    I'm not an expert, but I'd guess the commuter style. But, I think it's going to be a personal choice unless you're planning on going on rough trails. Is there a bike shop in your area where you can go in for a "test ride". I know our REI allows them. I have an Electra Amsterdam and it's a commuter style. You sit upright and it's really comfortable to ride. I don't like to be hunched over the handlebars. And, my guilty little secret...I'm hopeless with handbrakes. Truly. Congratulations, though. What a great program! Check out the online women's cycling magazine "Cycle in Style". This may just become an addiction for you...and, what a great way to get healthy. Have fun!
  • mfigurski
    mfigurski Posts: 23 Member
    First of all, I think that is an awesome program that your school has!

Both are good bikes. Personally, if you are going to be riding the distance you are talking about, I would go with the Specialized. Although the Giant is a good bike, it is more for the recreational Sunday in the park rider.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    I have the 2010 Crosstrail and love it. That being said, maybe try and find a local dealer that will let you test ride both and see which you prefer.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Is there any way you can ride both bikes? Even if it is someone else's bike you can at least get a feel for the bikes. I have a road bike and I rode like 10 different models/brands to find the one I liked. If I was commuting I would want a bike with fenders. I would also be aware that a 10 mile trip will take 45-60 mins at a moderate pace. Make sure you have some way of hauling stuff like books and groceries. And then keep watching those gas prices rise. I ride my bike as much as possible to run short errands. I would like to go car free, but I can't quite commit to that yet.

Here is a blog for you to check out about biking

http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/

They also have links to many other sites.
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    I would think the specialized would be a better choice simply because you would be better off with more speeds for hills and such. my friend has a vintage 'commuter' type bike which is a super comfy Sunday ride kind of bike, but I wouldn't want it for any lengthy rides.
    but, it really is a matter of personal taste. I agree with the person who suggested finding them at a retailer to try them out.
    and...that really is a GREAT program!! good luck choosing!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    I just went online and looked at both bikes and I think I would go with the specialized. It looks like a much nicer bike. I would still suggest riding both and you will want fenders for commuting.