Holey shoes

Options
I'm doing a 5k next month and thanks to the pnuemonia I had in January I am drastically un-prepared, but I still want to do the best I can. Problem is my shoes....I have a nice pair of running shoes that I had fitted at a Running Fit a few years ago. I haven't logged TOO many miles on them, but the problem is there is a hole worn in right where the back of my heel goes and it gives me a blister.

I don't have money to buy new shoes before the race, and my other shoes won't do (they're sketchers, look like running shoes but are hell for actually running). Is there anything I can do, some kind of Dr. Scholls insert or something that will prevent me from getting a blister?

Replies

• beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    I'd go to the place you got fitted and ask their suggestion (or a trainer, if you have access to one - mine used to fix my cleats with foam and electrical tape!) they will probably have some good advice.

Good luck!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    1. Can you borrow a pair from someone?

2. Can you buy a pair on craigslist, ebay or resale shop?
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    If you go to a fitness store you should be able to find some "Second Skin" it comes in a little round container and when you open it there are blue plastic pieces with a jelly like substance on the other side. Take the blue plastic off the jelly thingy...and put the side that you just peeled the blue part from onto your heel. It should feel kinda like snot and cold when you put in on. Then find some stretch athletic tape (since its your heel) and practice wrapping your heel with the wrap and second skin before your race. When you go out for a run do this before you go every time until you finally figure out how to wrap your heels up before the big race. Other than buying new shoes this is the best idea I can come up with. (Plus its much cheaper...maybe $15 bucks total) You should be able to find both items at ****'s sporting goods or a good running store.

Hope this helps!
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    You should be able to find both items at ****'s sporting goods or a good running store.

OMG really?? lol
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Dr Scholls makes great moleskin patches that stick to your foot and prevent blisters. I'd get lots of different shapes and textures (they have cloth, plastic) and experiment before the big day.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If you go to a fitness store you should be able to find some "Second Skin" it comes in a little round container and when you open it there are blue plastic pieces with a jelly like substance on the other side. Take the blue plastic off the jelly thingy...and put the side that you just peeled the blue part from onto your heel. It should feel kinda like snot and cold when you put in on. Then find some stretch athletic tape (since its your heel) and practice wrapping your heel with the wrap and second skin before your race. When you go out for a run do this before you go every time until you finally figure out how to wrap your heels up before the big race. Other than buying new shoes this is the best idea I can come up with. (Plus its much cheaper...maybe $15 bucks total) You should be able to find both items at ****'s sporting goods or a good running store.

Hope this helps!

Is the second skin re-usable or do I have to put on a new one each time? Lol, don't ya love how it stars out the name? Thanks, I'll head there this weekend and take a look.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    Second skin isn't re-usable, but it's a jar with a bunch of little squares... so you get more than one use with the purchase.

I had forgot about these little guys. They're great!

I've never used them to prevent blisters though, just help after I already had them. Let me know how it goes!
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Lol. D!ck's Sporting Goods?