Being Short and Losing Weight

Options
Hi...I have lost 17 pounds been on MFP since Sept...my cals for MFP are 1200 and my BMR(cals my body would burn if i layed in bed all day) used to be 1430 when i started and now the cals are 1247...so its almost impossible for me to lose unless I really work my butt off in exercise...now my hubby is saying for me to drop my cal intake on the days I cant fit exercise in to say 1100...but i told him i heard its dangerous to do this...has anyone done this for a few days to try to trick your body? I am also only 5 feet tall..so imagine this is why my BMR is so low.

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Going under 1200 cals every now and than is ok.. just not on a daily basis..
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    Hiya - SNAP
    5 foot tall. went from 112 to 98 lbs and have maintained that for 4 weeks now. Please feel very free to snoop my food diary etc. I did the 30 day shred which really helped me tone up and loose excess fat. I now have 1600 to eat a day but often eat more due to exercise.
    play around with your food choices, stay within your net cals but try different foods and mix it up a bit.

I can only say what worked for me though. Just push hard and make good choices, it will happen although it is harder 4 us *petite packages* to loose stubborn pounds. We are there with you lol.
    Best of luck to you!!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    truth be told... and I'm gonna get some fighters on this... 1200 isn't a magical number. You are petite and your minimum calorie requirement is most likely lower than 1200. Just like some tall guys minimum requirement is above 1200. You do want to be careful and conservative if you lower your calories however. If you are worried, see your doctor for advice.
  • clearly_ninja
    clearly_ninja Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and my bmr is currently 1243 as my current weight is 132 pounds. My goal weight is about 104. At the minute I can only eat 1200 a day according to mfp so the idea of eating less than that when I eventually drop to 104 is scary. I don't want to be constantly exercising when i'm at my goal weight I want to relax a little, but it seems like torture as it is to limit my cals to 1200.

I recently bought a davina mcall cross trainer because when I went to the gym over summer it was my favourite machine there and I used to burn 300 cals in half an hour. But the davina mcall one is either not as accurate or is just isn't doing anything for me as i'm working out on it for 30 mins and only burning 100 cals. Which isn't motivating me to go on iit any more as I feel like i'm putting so much effort in and not getting anything out. I can't afford to join a gym and don't like the idea of running outside as I get bad asthma attacks and this again demotivates me.

If I could burn 300 cals in a workout i'd be more than happy with my calorie intake as I could eat extra from the work out but as it stands I just feel a bit sick of it all that all my friends can enjoy nice food and stay slim just because theyre taller.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i am another shortie (four foot, eleven and a half, but i usually lie and say five foot). :) i agree that 1200 isn't a 'magic' number, especially for those of us in the vertically challenged area. i honestly think that you would be safe at 1100 two or three days a week, but you should consult with a doctor or dietician during that time to make sure you are getting all your vitamins and nutrients.
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just got my RMR testesd (I'm almost 5'1 as well) and it was 1127. They told me to never go below that but as long as I didn't I'd be ok and not go into starvation mode. They also explained that my RMR+Lifestyle (i sit at my desk all day) is 1465. So basically to lose 1/2 lb/week I take 1465+ exercise calories - 250 = daily caloric intake. Also remember that you want to work out in your fat burning zone because if you go over your heart rate threshold then you stop burning fat and start burning sugar/carbs. and I agree with pocketsam on the quality of the foods you eat as well :)

just a thought.
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and my bmr is currently 1243 as my current weight is 132 pounds. My goal weight is about 104. At the minute I can only eat 1200 a day according to mfp so the idea of eating less than that when I eventually drop to 104 is scary. I don't want to be constantly exercising when i'm at my goal weight I want to relax a little, but it seems like torture as it is to limit my cals to 1200.

I recently bought a davina mcall cross trainer because when I went to the gym over summer it was my favourite machine there and I used to burn 300 cals in half an hour. But the davina mcall one is either not as accurate or is just isn't doing anything for me as i'm working out on it for 30 mins and only burning 100 cals. Which isn't motivating me to go on iit any more as I feel like i'm putting so much effort in and not getting anything out. I can't afford to join a gym and don't like the idea of running outside as I get bad asthma attacks and this again demotivates me.

If I could burn 300 cals in a workout i'd be more than happy with my calorie intake as I could eat extra from the work out but as it stands I just feel a bit sick of it all that all my friends can enjoy nice food and stay slim just because theyre taller.

i know i have found sticking to 1200 difficult too...but i am trying to get a decent 5 servings of vegs/fruits which fill you better and are super low cal...so if i keepincorporating tons of veggies i think i can stuff my self and still do 1100 a couple of days when i cant exercise