How many caloried am I burning?

Options
Hi, I know this is kind of a lot to ask, but I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how many calories a 146 lb, 5'5", 23 year old would burn doing Jillians 30 Day Shred levels 1-3, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, and No More Trouble Zones (on there own of course) I have like a weeks worth of workouts that I can't log in because I'm not really sure what to categorize them under. If anyone can give me a rough idea or at least explain how I can figure it out, that would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I really don't think there is a way to know unless you have a heart rate monitor. That is why I just got my Polar FT40. I was trying to play games like Just Dance 2 and had no way of knowing without one.
  • wellsar
    wellsar Posts: 24
    Options
    Ive seen a lot of people log it under circuit training.
  • amandarusco
    Options
    I post mine under circuit training
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    I put my Jillian work under circuit training, but I also adjust the count based on what my HRM says. However, if you can't afford a HRM, just go by the numbers MFP gives you. If you start to notice you aren't losing as much, try manueling putting in 50 calories or less on the counts (ie: MFP says 200 for 20 minutes, try 150)

Something else to consider though, as you get more fit, you may burn fewer calories than you are used to. A common rule of thumb for running is 100 calories a mile--I only get 75 to 85 calories burned for each mile I run now.

Basically, trust the math unless you see some problems. It is free after all!
  • ashmx250
    ashmx250 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks. How exactly do you use a heart rate monitor to calculate the calories burned? I know I can probably find out if I research a bit but since were already on the topic...
    Also, since Jillians Banish Fat Boost Metabolism is cardio, and No More Trouble Zones is strength training... is there an option for circiut training under Strength when you log your exercises?
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I really don't think there is a way to know unless you have a heart rate monitor. That is why I just got my Polar FT40. I was trying to play games like Just Dance 2 and had no way of knowing without one.

This is the answer.

Someone your exact same height, weight, age, etc could do the exact same workout as you for the same time period...guess what? Both of you are going to have totally different caloric burns. How hard are you working out that day?

My caloric burns for the same workout can vary as much as 100 calories from week to week. If I were to log P90X under "Circuit Training" like so many people do, I'd be off by 200 - 400 calories per workout...that's almost an entire meal!

So, save yourself a lot of headache, and get a HRM to know what YOU are burning.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have done 30 Day Shred, I am 5'6 & 148.5 lbs and I burn between 160-170 calories. i have a HRM, which is the only way to get an accurate reading.
  • ashmx250
    Options
    Alright, so how exactly do I use a heart rate monitor to calculate my calories burned?
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Thanks. How exactly do you use a heart rate monitor to calculate the calories burned? I know I can probably find out if I research a bit but since were already on the topic...
    Also, since Jillians Banish Fat Boost Metabolism is cardio, and No More Trouble Zones is strength training... is there an option for circiut training under Strength when you log your exercises?

A HRM, with a chest strap, constantly monitors your heart rate. Given your age, height, weight, and sex, it can determine how many calories you are burning during the given timeframe of your workout.

A watch-style HRM requires you to touch your fingers to the monitor at specific intervals. This is only getting an average of your heart rate...not a constant reading, like the chest strap. Because a lot of workouts have different levels of intensity throughout, if you take a reading during a "valley", you may get a low caloric burn reading. If you take it during a "peak", you may get a high caloric burn reading.

Best choice, go for a chest strap HRM.

If you're wanting to measure calories burned, skip the Strength Training options and log it in under the Cardio section.
  • catycee1
    catycee1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

A HRM, with a chest strap, constantly monitors your heart rate. Given your age, height, weight, and sex, it can determine how many calories you are burning during the given timeframe of your workout.

A watch-style HRM requires you to touch your fingers to the monitor are specific intervals. This is only getting an average of your heart rate...not a constant reading, like the chest strap. Because a lot of workouts have different levels of intensity throughout, if you take a reading during a "valley", you may get a low caloric burn reading. If you take it during a "peak", you may get a high caloric burn reading.

Best choice, go for a chest strap HRM.

If you're wanting to measure calories burned, skip the Strength Training options and log it in under the Cardio section.
    thank you I was thinking about getting a HRM. and your comment helped me make a choice
  • ah0319
    ah0319 Posts: 2
    Options
    I hadn't thought about using the HRM for better calorie burning counts for logging. Will definitely do that!
  • ashmx250
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone.