anyone use indoor bike trainers?

Options
Do they work?

Replies

• 6todds
    6todds Posts: 13
    Options
    I have one and have been using it for about a month now. I really like it. I really feel like it gives me an EXCELLENT workout!
  • ddmiles
    ddmiles Posts: 4
    Options
    yes my husband got one for the winter months he really likes it.
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i have a cyclops fluid 2 trainer and i love it, its a hell of a workout and there is an entire series of videos you can use to help push yourself from spinervals...you will be sweaty in no time....

my 2 cents as someone who use to sell various bikes / cycling gear...fluid trainers are better then magnetic
    you will spend a bit more up front but they are smoother, quieter and general have better overall feel
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I really want the livestrong indoor training bicycle but it's $1000.00 :(
  • JackieR5
    JackieR5 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been using a recumbent bike to help my knees. I had surgery on one for a torn meniscus, and have another tear on the other. Walking aggravates it but the biking helps.
  • HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yup, use it year round. fluid 2 by cyclops. Kinetic is also a good brand.
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    Depends on what your goal is...

For burning calories they work great...for cycle-training a spinning-bike (without the display and any electronic) would be better.

Try to use one at the gym or get one that can provide variative programs. Sometimes they are called "up-/downhill" or "intervall-training". Pedalling for an hour on the same resistance level won't help...trust me :smile:

And I woul rather use my own Heart Rate Monitor than the ones built in...they don't work that properly.
    So trust your own HRM to show you the calories you've burned! :wink:

It is always recommended that you wear shoes with a quite stiff sole and choose a bike that at least provides adjustable straps (better cages and even better click-system pedals).
    Try to get a round cycle in your pedals...alterning pushing and pulling actively with both of your feet.
    If you start to kick only with one foot at a time you will seriously demage your joints on the long-term.
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    my hubby got one several years ago, and I don't think he ever used it! but i used it to train for a 64 mile bike race ('bike tour') a few years ago...i used the video that came with it and it is one HELL of a workout! I loved it but wish it wasn't such a hassle to have to go from smooth 'street' tire inside back to my knobby off-road tire for outside.
    It's great to have set up during the winter though!
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best ones around. http://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-Fluid-Indoor-Bicycle-Trainer/dp/B000BT7HWY/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp_T2 I plan to purchase it the next rainy season.
  • Dutchgirly
    Dutchgirly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i have a cyclops fluid 2 trainer and i love it, its a hell of a workout and there is an entire series of videos you can use to help push yourself from spinervals...you will be sweaty in no time....

my 2 cents as someone who use to sell various bikes / cycling gear...fluid trainers are better then magnetic
    you will spend a bit more up front but they are smoother, quieter and general have better overall feel

Very informative! Thanks so much!