Frequency of Weigh-ins

Shelbyhartman
Shelbyhartman Posts: 10
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been weighing myself every morning after I wake up since January 1st. I live and die by that number of the scale. It's a digital so it weighs to the 10th of an ounce. I've been really good about sticking to my 1270 calories a day but there are days I weigh and I'm up by 4/10 of a pound and it drives me nuts. WHY DID IT GO UP INSTEAD OF DOWN?!? Usually by the end of the week I've netted my usual 1.2 to 1.6 pound loss but I don't get why some mornings the weight goes up before it goes down. Anyway, I've decided to just weigh once a week. I worry that by not weighing every morning it may give me license to cheat a little thinking I have a few days before I get on a scale again.

So I'm curious, how often does everyone weigh themselves and chart their progress?

Replies

• ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    :tongue: Only once a week! I'd go crazy doing it everyday!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    I have zero consistency in my weigh ins. I have a habit of only weighing when I think I'm lighter. I used to say once a week, but then I'd feel awesome and go 'oh screw it I wanna see now'. Other times when I've binged I'll avoid them for 2 weeks or longer. I would say once to twice a week would be good. That way you don't have to wait a week and can be more accountable if its showing up. I got fed up of weighing myself daily because as you know it can go up even slightly or stay the same, I knew over the few days it'd eventually go down but I was tired of the disappointment till it did.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    I weigh in every morning, it keeps me from screwing up. You could just be retaining water, or if you havent went to the bathroom, there are many factors.
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    I have always heard to weigh once a week... but i weigh usually every day. the biggest reason is because then i will know what my usual weight is... if i weighed once a week and weighed on a heavy day i would feel bad for a week, or what if i miss a good number. i'd rather know the average. Then i log it whenever I go down a whole pound. my scale does half pounds, but i just go by the whole number
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    I had to start to do it once a week only. I was getting to obsessed with how the scale would fluctuate and it would upset me.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    I have the digital as well, and HATE them! I am not going to get that technical, so I just drop that 1/10 number. I fluctuate so much that it brings me down weighing every day, esp' on those certain times of the month when I know I will gain 3 lbs, just "because"... So once a week is plenty for me. I did get on the other day just cuz I was down on my official weigh-in day & was feeling cocky, and guess what...? It was up. Just a hair, but still, bummed me right out, so, nope. No more.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    I used to wegh every day. Now I weigh Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The difference could be more salt, foods that take longer to digest like whole grains or that you ate later at night therefore you havent fasted as long. I kinda like the once a week thing, that way I feel like I lose more each weigh in. I know this is just a mind game I play with myself but I still do it.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    I weigh daily. I just can't help myself.
  • missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    I weigh every morning before eating anything but after going to the bathroom. I know it's not the 'healthy' way to do it, but I find that when it's on the high side it helps keep me from cheating that day and when it's on the low side it motivates me more. Either way it's a win win situation for me. That doesn't mean I don't get bummed when it goes up of course, but I just try to be even better that day and make sure I go to the gym. Anyways....it seems to work for me.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    I try to avoid weighing myself. My body doesn't depend on a number. I'll know when I'm happy with it. :smile:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Remember, the scale is only a tool, not your judge. Use it wisely. Oh, and it does lie sometimes! Personally, I weigh in once a week, occassionally twice (if the first one wasn't great I'll try again in 2-3 days).
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    I weigh myself every morning, but my "official" weigh in day (when I actually input it into MFP) is Monday. I also keep track of what MFP tells me I "would weigh in 5 weeks if every day was like today" and I like to see how close it is.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    I weigh everyday. It helps keep me accountable and a little fluctuation doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. I've been doing it for years now and it works for me, but I realize everyone's different.
This discussion has been closed.