I'm devastated...

Options
Because I've been trying to lose 10lb since after Christmas and its just not happenning. I've been netting aproximately 1200 calories a day, some weeks a little more, and burning at least 500 calories at the gym 3-5 days a week but I'm seeing no difference. Its so demoralising. I've been trying to eat more regularly and healthily, because I do binge sometimes, but usually not more than once a week. I want to get healthier and feel better about myself but I'm not seeing any change :(

Replies

• TheBlondeGirl
    Options
    I'm sorry you haven't seen a loss, but don't give up! You are probably at a plateau and those are really hard to get past. Just keep doing what you're doing and make sure you're drinking your water and you're bound to see a loss soon! Good luck and congrats on sticking with it!!
  • UGoGurl
    UGoGurl Posts: 7
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I've been trying to lose weight since July. I can't seem to get below 140, no matter what. I know it is frustrating and demoralizing when you don't see any results at all. I was in that boat for a long time, until I hired a personal trainer. I'm not saying you should hire a trainer, but the fact is that someone else will push you MUCH harder than you will push yourself. It's just how we are made.
  • shabosings
    Options
    I got much better results when I hired a personal trainer than in working out on my own.
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a radical suggestion. Go back and look at your goals and see how fast you wanted to lose the weight. If you wanted to try to lose 2 pounds re adjust your goal to lose 1 pound per week. Maybe you aren't eating enough.
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Because I've been trying to lose 10lb since after Christmas and its just not happenning. I've been netting aproximately 1200 calories a day, some weeks a little more, and burning at least 500 calories at the gym 3-5 days a week but I'm seeing no difference. Its so demoralising. I've been trying to eat more regularly and healthily, because I do binge sometimes, but usually not more than once a week. I want to get healthier and feel better about myself but I'm not seeing any change :(

I was having the same problem. I started taking folic acid, to help my insides a little lol and actually cut down to a very low caloric intake. everyone gives me shhite for it but, i've never felt better... and have lost 8 lbs in the last 2 months or so. I drink so much water its ridiculas and have been going to the gym 5to 6 days a week I upped my protien and fiber intake though, which gives me the energy i was missing and so far its been working... but I would think maybe just cutting out mostly every drink but water and add in a protien shake for breakfast instead to keep you from wanting to cheat at all...
  • blazestarr
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this. I know how frustrating it can be, this happens to me and I always give up. You have inspired me just by the fact that your still keeping at it. I'm not sure what your doing at the gym but Its been recommended to me to switch up my workouts. I hope this helps you. :smile:
  • istutzman
    istutzman Posts: 64
    Options
    I've also been very discouraged because I haven't lost any weight and working out 6 days a week. But as the others said, dont give up and I wont give up. Even though I havent seen a change atleast I'm getting healthy. Keep it up.
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So sorry for the frustration. I regularly calculate my BMR and by doing so I need to eat 1375.6. calories to maintain my weight. I am 5'2" and 130lbs. I try to stick to this number and get in at least 30 minutes of cardio per day. I have been successfully losing about 1 to 2 lbs per week. It's easy to google a BMR calculator and you can easily put this into MFP to help track. Good luck and I'm sure you will find something that will work for you.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I have a radical suggestion. Go back and look at your goals and see how fast you wanted to lose the weight. If you wanted to try to lose 2 pounds re adjust your goal to lose 1 pound per week. Maybe you aren't eating enough.

Yep...actually I'd suggest 1/2 lb - with only 10 lbs to go, unlikely you can even do 1 lb per week. The body (especially females) prefers to have a cushion, so you have to coax those last ones off. To do that, the body has to KNOW it will have enough intake to be willing to use the fat stores.

What would be even better is if you drop the scale and start looking at measurements. What you should really be focusing on is toning and building muscle at this point. Good luck with it!
  • bpdai
    bpdai Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have been stalled out since July. I think maybe I am starting to see a break in the dam. I lost .2 lbs last week, and expect it will be more this week. I have been trying to amp up the exercise, and really working on upping the water intake. I am also paying more attention to getting my calories from protien more than high carb foods. Just limiting calories wasn't doing me much good. I think that how you get those calories can make a big difference. Hang in there, and know that you are not alone!
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Everyone had really good suggestions! I also would like to add that you should be proud that you are sticking to a healthy lifestyle and maintaining what you have lost, rather than giving up and gaining it all back! That, in itself, is a great thing!!!
  • trecha
    trecha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have also not had alot of weight loss yet, have been doing the exercising and watching my calories and barely make a 1 lb a week. But I know I have to just keep going because not always about the scale but also the inches lost.
  • tshahady
    tshahady Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My trainer got me on track w/ a nutrition plan of very lean protein - fish and chicken, whole grains, very clean eating, etc. Take a look at my food diary. Some very important things 1) eat w/in 20 minutes of waking up - I usually have cottage cheese or toast w/ peanut butter, protein shake, 2) eat every 2-3 hours - EXTREMELY important to get your metabolism burning, 3) watch your sugar/sodium intake. I was spinning my wheels for the 45 days - getting angry and frustrated b/c I wasn't losing. I was busting my butt at the gym - doing two-a-days 4 times a week. I was convinced i was in starvation mode and was very skeptical about the plan my trainer gave me. Starvation mode will not happen b/c I am eating every 2-3 hours period. i have several days where I don't take in 1,200 calories and I have great calorie burns at the gym.
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been in your boat. I've been working out since the end of September and was not losing weight at all. It was when I started cutting out all grains [eating Paleo/Primal], for the past 3 weeks that I started seeing the numbers go down. 3 pounds in 3 weeks.

It really stinks when you feel like you're putting so much effort and still not seeing any results. I;d say look into your diet a little more carefully. Maybe you are doing too much cardio. Maybe too fast? Perhaps, try slow and steady with heavier intensity.

Personally, I've found that grains may have been the culprit behind my stubborn weight loss [in addition to weight gain] as well as bloating all the time. When I cut those out, I found myself rarely bloated...and I was losing weight. Unfortunately, this week I have been struggling. But I'm trying not to give up.
  • Nitrousoxide
    Options
    There are basically 3 reasons why you wouldn't be loosing wight.

1: You're underestimating your calorie intake. Make sure you're accurately reporting everything you eat. If you are making your own meals double check the serving sizes and ingredients to make sure you aren't severely underestimating something.

2: You're overestimating the amount of calories you're a burning. Try assuming that you are burning fewer calories than you think you are. You might just be mistaken.

3: You're eating too few calories so your body in in starvation mode, drastically cutting down the rate at which it burns calories. If neither of the above works then you may need to actually increase your caloric input to loose weight so your body comes off of starvation mode.

It's simply physics and chemistry. If you're eating fewer calories than you're burning you will loose weight.. Your body doesn't have "sticking points" If it needs more energy than you're providing for it it'll have to get it somewhere and that's going to be in your fat stores and muscles. It's just physically impossible to run a real calorie deficit and not loose weight. There's gotta be some reason why you aren't running a real calorie deficit even though you think you are. Reexamine what you eat and what you do to make sure everything is right.
  • vicksters31
    vicksters31 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying everyone :) I've eaten horrifically the last 2 days but can hopefully even it out a bit next week or boost my metabolism a bit haha. I'm gonna have a look at the settings on MFP, although I expected to have seen some change in either my shape or scale numbers by now, even if they were slightly off/overestimated.
    I think out of all your suggestions this would probably the main reason for my problems, as I think I am pretty good at estimating my intake and outtake (according to gym machines...) ! We'll see what happens I guess.