HRM vs Exercise Database

Options
Just curious! So I got a HRM which counts how many calories I burn. I went and compared it to an exercise machine at the gym and they both read pretty much the same amount of calories that I burned (which I hope means that my HRM is pretty accurate). I've also found that the exercise database here gives me more calroies than what I actually burn on the different exercise that I do (about 150-200 more calories). My only explanation is that everyone is different in size and age and that the database is just an average of what people burn. Is anyone else here experiencing the same issue?

Replies

• cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Im just starting to see the same thing. I recently bought an HRM and find MFP to be a little high
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes, my HRM usually shows me way less than average calorie burn or from what the database says. I'd go with the HRM always! They typically are most accurate.
  • Trista87Marie
    Trista87Marie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I dont have an HRM but when i compare the database to what the machines at the gym say MFP is wayyyy high. Even double in some instances. Ive read a few articles saying that even the machines and HRM's can be very inaccurate. The HRM has to be constantly updates with your stats in order to be any good at all.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Mines the opposite. Mine is usually waaay higher than MFP. Anywhere from 100cals to 400.
  • dmisom79
    dmisom79 Posts: 112
    Options
    i'm experiencing just the opposite. My HRM is showing double burned versus the gym machines AND this site. I've got it programmed correctly and wear a chest strap. how can it be wrong? i hope it's not!
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just curious! So I got a HRM which counts how many calories I burn.

Just to clarify for accuracy.............HRMs do not count how many calories you burn. Heart rate monitors measure heart rate, period......... then calculate your estimated calorie burn based on formulas that take into account your age, maximum heart rate, weight and so on. But it is still more likely that the estimate from the heart rate monitor is more accurate than the database. A lot of other factors can affect the readings too like certain medications that keep your heart rate down etc.