EXTREME FRUSTRATION..advice please??!!

Options
So I have been really really committed to MFP that last couple weeks and was sloooowwwllly losing a pound a week. All of the sudden this week I gained three back! I increased my exercise and I ate soup and salad every night!! I only slipped up on one breakfast and I still stayed under my calorie limit. I don't know what went wrong! I told my sister and she thinks I didnt get enough sleep because of midterms at college (i was sleeping 4 hours or less every night this week). Do you guys think thats what it was? Anyone know how sleep affects weight loss? I just got a little down and would like some advice to lose weight more consistently instead of two steps forwards and one step back. Thanks

Frankie

Replies

• afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You should make your diary public so we can see if there is anything in your diet that might have changed:) also, remember that your weight fluxes throughout the day so make sure tha tyou are weighing in at about the same time. stress from midterms could also be a factor. Plus, the golden rule is that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you gained weight it is entirely possible that you gained back some muscle mass
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    yes sleep affects weight loss. in the form of cortisol. when you stress yourself your body produces this and prevents fat loss. plus, we all fluctuate 2-3 lbs. we tend to retain fluid at different times etc. plus, and i know this is a little gross, but when our bowels are full we can weigh and extra little.

dont worry about it too much. if you are staying under your calories and are working out, you'll lose weight.

ps you cant gain muscle on a calorie deficit, its physiologically impossible.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Diaries are tools for you to use and if you are asking others for help they need to be able to see what you have been doing. It is impossible to give someone directions in the dark!!!!! It is impossible to give advise if we don't know what the problem(s) are. If you are asking for help, please open your diary so we can be as helpful as possible
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the soups! I love them, too, but they can be full of sodium (which causes you to retain water, and therefore, weight!), and if they're cream soups, then of course they can have lots of fat & calories...!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    Watch the sodium closely. It can reek havoc on weight loss.
    Sleep is important 6 hours should be the minimum and even that is pushing it. Also if you are doing any strength training you'll retain water for awhile as well.
    Just push through and you should see results. Track your food closely, drink water and watch the sodium. Hopefully you'll be ok in a week or so.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Hi,

I know its frustrating but eating healthily with a calorie deficit plus exercising will produce results, try not to get down about a weight blip, chances are it will rectify itself in a few days. Trust the process and stick to it and results will come.

Best Wishes,
  • LMP1979
    LMP1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ditto on what others have said on the soup!!!
  • aimeemaryrose
    Options
    that happened to me exactly but it was just before my period and then I lost it again straight afterwards
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Use a tape measure and check your waist and hips every 2 weeks (I know, it seems like a long time), it gives you a more accurate view on how you're doing on your diet and exercise. The scale can go up and down, but the tape measure will continue to show progress!
  • frankerzzzfit
    frankerzzzfit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for allll the helpful insight and and advice everyone! I really appreciate it! I'm ready to keep truckin it and move on from one weigh in!! you guys are the best!

Love
    frankie