working out while under the weather ?

Options
1113cw
1113cw Posts: 830 Member
Just curious to what everyone does.. do you still work out if you're under the weather? At what point do you bag your workout, if at all?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i've heard that if your illness is above the neck its ok to work out..below in your chest you need to rest.
    i've worked out with a head cold before. . it all depends on how you feel. usually if i am sick i just take it easy and try to rest and get better.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    If you can do it, go for it. I did a boot camp work out with a cold and found the work out actually cleared my nose and lungs. The workout made me feel better. I know running does that to. If I have a stomach virus, working out is probably not a great idea because I don't want to get dehydrated.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    If you feel up to it do ti. I've worked out with colds. I've not been up to working out this week, had a nasty cold flu thing right on my chest. I'm getting out of breath just typing this let alone workign out *lol*
  • EmmaRankmore
    Options
    I've also heard the 'below the chest you need to rest' thing as well, and I think its a pretty good thing to go with - if you cant breathe properly, you cant workout properly - so I'd rest and get better then try it. When I'm not feeling well, I do tend to go for slow walks so I'm still staying active but not killing myself over it. :)
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I've been fighting something for the past few days.. feel ok for the most part, not really sick.. but congested and have a bit of a cough. Last nights workout seemed much more difficult than usual although it was pretty much a normal workout. Was wondering if all the congestion had something to do with it or if it was just due to the fact that I normally work out in the morning, not the evening.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    If I am under the weather, I tend to do short bursts of exercise with less intensity (dance to ipod, walk up extra set of stairs) I just feel better if I do some movement. Right now have eye injury so just slow walking and really watching calories. Hope you get to feeling better soon!
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    My rule of thumb... If I have to keep running to the bathroom then I am not going to work out.... Other than that I will give it a go!