MFP and quitting smoking.

kwardklinck
kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
edited September 24 in Motivation and Support
I was so worried about gaining weight when I quit smoking 10 days ago. MFP makes it easy. The last time I quit (8 years ago), I gained 25 pounds. This time will be different because I'm keeping track of my calories as I go. I love that I can get more calories with exercise. The exercise also really helps with my stress. Endorphins feel better than nicotine!

I am not losing yet because my system is a little messed up from my quit, but I know my body will get used to the change and I will lose this last little bit as soon as my sleep patterns and regularity return.

MFP really is all about a healthy lifestyle change. Fear of being fat has kept me smoking all these years. Now I know that I can be a non-smoker and be thin at the same time.

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Congratulations on quitting!!! :)
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Congrats!! Monday is my quit day.. hope I do as well as you are!!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,701 Member
    Good luck and keep it up. I quit almost a year ago. While I have had some weight gain it was due to not finding this site til later in the process and lack of using site. I have found it helpful in at least not gaining more! This site does help! Quitting smoking is hard, and MOST days I am thankful I did! Friend me if you would like! :drinker:
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Congratulations! I am still smoking, but feel very guilty while keeping nutrition and exercise a priority... not doing my lungs any justice! I will now consider quitting.

I visited my LA weightloss coach yesterday and she saw on my MFP food diary that I have a category for "nasty cigs", she said assign a calorie to each one and maybe you will try harder to quit. LOL>>> maybe not a bad idea, but I don't want that to hinder eating healthy if I smoke to much.

You have motivated me! WAy to go!!
  • tdexter
    tdexter Posts: 15
    Keep going! I stopped at the beginning of the year and have stiil dropped almost 30lbs so far. Starting to feel fantastic, I can smell and I don't smell, if you know what I mean :0) I still get pangs for a smoke sometimes but know I'm not going to enjoy it and will regret unraveling all my good work so far. So keep it up, it's worth it!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Congratulations! I am still smoking, but feel very guilty while keeping nutrition and exercise a priority... not doing my lungs any justice! I will now consider quitting.

I visited my LA weightloss coach yesterday and she saw on my MFP food diary that I have a category for "nasty cigs", she said assign a calorie to each one and maybe you will try harder to quit. LOL>>> maybe not a bad idea, but I don't want that to hinder eating healthy if I smoke to much.

You have motivated me! WAy to go!!

The best part about the quit is that I can exercise harder and longer than I could when I was still smoking. I took a run the other day and was able to go 20 minutes and run uphill for about 1/3 of the way. As a smoker, I couldn't run uphill at all. This was a great feeling.
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Sunday will be two weeks for me without a ciggarette....Yesterday was the first time I really wanted one(stress I guess) but I didn't give in.
    I have failed everytime I have tried to quit....only when i had my babies was did I not smoke.. I keep thinking it takes 30 days to have a habit stick...hoping to make it through to the 30 days and beyond....best of luck to you...keep up the good work!
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    You can do it and you'll be better for it. God bless you as you all struggle w/o it. It is doable. I did aprox 6 yrs ago.
  • Well done, I quit almost 6 weeks ago, but started using myfitnesspal a week before my quit date, so far I have lost 9lbs and not gained. This wont be my first time quitting either I have tried many times and know all too well about the weight gain. Hopefully we will both be successful this time round.

Quitting has also helped me become much more active as well, I now go out on my bike (which I dug out of hibernation) around 4 times a week, and have noticed that I can go a mph faster than I could a month a go which is really egging me on. If nothing else think of all the money you'll save! x
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    I'm on day 8! Congrats to all of us who have decided that cigarettes need to go :)

I've noticed the same health benefits... it's so much easier running! My hardest test so far was my girls night out last night but I didn't cave in... I'm really proud :)
  • coxy1968
    coxy1968 Posts: 77
    Well done on quitting, i quit 4 yrs ago and it was the best thing i ever done
  • Rosie958r
    Rosie958r Posts: 160 Member
    Well done on quitting!
    Good luck on everything
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Kudos to you!!

I quit smoking 11 months ago and testify that it was the best decision I made, ever.

Losing weight, getting back into shape, eating well, sleeping well...It all came in the slipstream of the Big decision.

Keep it up. Life is endlessly better smokefree!
This discussion has been closed.