no more "skinny b#*ch"

Options
2»

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    On one hand, I have to also point out that there is are many resources with the name "Skinny *****".

Also, if I were to call my slim friend a skinny *****, it's my way of letting her know I'm jealous. I don't think many people are using the term as an insult and I whole heartedly believe it's just in fun.

While I might in my heart know that someone saying that might be jealous or might think it is fun it isn't. If my friend called me a skinny b%tch it would hurt my feelings....and I would never call her a name referencing her level of fitness.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think I am the only one who will say it but I disagree. I think the term is not meant to be offensive. Like someone said, it is a book. And perhaps it is just me who feels this way but when I hear the term on here I don't think the intent is to harm, or belittle. When I hear the term it conjours up an image of a woman, fit, healthy, assertive, sassy, strong. I think it needs to be taken in context to understand the intent behind it. If someone is ranting about some skinny B who did her wrong, it's probably not a good thing. More often I see it being used as the new "You go girl!" of 2011. Some people may be offended by it, others not. You can call me anything as long as you add "skinny" to it. But that's just me.:tongue:
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    hmm some thin women are bi**#$#*. But so what some fat women are also...
  • kelsully
    Options
    I posted my blog about this yesterday.

Titled FAT COWS

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/pocketsam/view/fat-cow-80541

Saw it and commented there too. Someone mentioned to post a forum thread too so I did. I only look at the blogs about once a week but the message boards daily. I just want the name calling of any kind to stop. It isn't appropriate ever and is almost always hurtful...no matter what side of the journey one might be one.
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I think I am the only one who will say it but I disagree. I think the term is not meant to be offensive.

I agree, depends on the context in which its used. Like when my coworker says, "hey slacker." Or when a girl calls a guy a "dork" Neither are meant to be offensive.
    Either way, if it bothers you, ppl should respect that
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I think I am the only one who will say it but I disagree. I think the term is not meant to be offensive. Like someone said, it is a book. And perhaps it is just me who feels this way but when I hear the term on here I don't think the intent is to harm, or belittle. When I hear the term it conjours up an image of a woman, fit, healthy, assertive, sassy, strong. I think it needs to be taken in context to understand the intent behind it. If someone is ranting about some skinny B who did her wrong, it's probably not a good thing. More often I see it being used as the new "You go girl!" of 2011. Some people may be offended by it, others not. You can call me anything as long as you add "skinny" to it. But that's just me.:tongue:

I agree with you and the other posts as well. I think...for the most part...its used in good fun to show jealousy and envy of another woman.
    That being said I think even using a term like "Skinny B%tch" shows others how to treat women. It's kind of like African Americans/Black people calling each other n%gger. It's meant as a derogatory insult. Even if you aren't using it in a derogatory manner I think it perpetuates a negative image.
  • kelsully
    Options
    I think I am the only one who will say it but I disagree. I think the term is not meant to be offensive.

I agree, depends on the context in which its used. Like when my coworker says, "hey slacker." Or when a girl calls a guy a "dork" Neither are meant to be offensive.
    Either way, if it bothers you, ppl should respect that

I totally get that and I do actually have a sense of humor...LOL...if my hubby is being silly and goofy and I call him a "dork" that is quite different than referring to a person I have never met that is wearing outdated clothes and is a bit ackward a dork.....in that way I am making fun of a stranger I know nothing about.

I guess weight is a very sensitive thing for so many people. Using labels that attach weight and fitness to them just seems to make them more hurtful.
  • Sarah101010
    Sarah101010 Posts: 235
    Options
    Great post, Kelly! I always admire your hard work and dedication!
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    I've walked in both sets of shoes. I was a "fat cow" at 245 and a "skinny bi@ch" at 145. Belieive me, no matter what size you are, too thin, normal size or too fat, name calling hurts! By the way, when I was way too thin (think anorexic looking) I got more name calling, than when I was big! I think people think they have a "liberty" to do that, cause you're "skinny". BS!! Don't be a Hater!! And certainly don't hurt someone's feelings, cause of what they look like on the outside!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options

sorry, the word 'b**ch' is always offensive to me, whether it has "fat" or "skinny" in front of it. it is NOT the new 'you go girl!' of 2011. someone calling someone a 'b**ch' is derogatory and mean-spirited; it is not empowering the other person. to me, 'b**ch' conjours up someone who thinks they are better than someone else, someone who belittles people, someone who is snotty and gains confidence by making others feel bad. a person who is fit, healthy, assertive, sassy, strong and confident doesn't need to act that way, whether they are chubby or thin.

personally, i find 'skinny b**ch' more hurtful than 'fat cow' - and i've been called both. the 'skinny b**ch' is commenting on my personality/actions where the 'fat cow' is only about my exterior.
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    thank you...a short true life story...i am very slim, i work very hard...one day coming out of a hockey arena with my youngest son who was about 9 at the time, a group of overweight moms began snickering, pointing and laughing at me (i was wearing my running clothes). my poor son looks up at me and says 'mommy, i heard those ladies making fun of you...', he was heart broken for me. i told him not to pay any attention...i have never once called any overweight person a derogatory name but it seems to be ok the other way around...i have never heard a kind remark from another woman. thank you for saying something :)