completed my first 1/2 marathon on the elliptical machine

Options
Chuck1963
Chuck1963 Posts: 8 Member
Yep, 13 miles in 2 hrs 43 minutes. Other than my feet being a bit sore I feel great! I've done many 10 miles runs on the elliptical and figured I might as well go for 13 this morning.

I've been a member since Jan, this year but have posted only a few times, just replies to others. I felt this was worthy of it's own topic though.

Replies

• indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I did 1.5 today and was proud! I get bored too easily. I know I could do an hour if I wanted but I stop too soon.
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    WTG!!!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Quite impressed. I go about 50 minutes on the elliptical, but my feet go numb!
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Tha's awesome!!!!!!!!! Will you run a 1/2 marathon now??? How many cals did you burn????
  • SKismet
    SKismet Posts: 137
    Options
    WOW! I'm completely amazed by that idea.... Last time I got on an elliptical, I had a hard time doing it for 5 minutes, let alone nearly 3 hours! lol
  • oneplusdog
    oneplusdog Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well done you. That's awesome. I'm doing C25k on the elliptical trainer and yesterday did my first 5k, but 13 miles, wow.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options

Mine too : )
  • Chuck1963
    Options
    Tha's awesome!!!!!!!!! Will you run a 1/2 marathon now??? How many cals did you burn????

I've never run on the road, don't know if my knees would like that but I plan on hitting the road when it gets warming here in mid Michigan. I burned 2342 calories according to my Polar F11 HRM.
  • Chuck1963
    Options

I use two pairs of running shoes and run backwards every so often to combat the numbness. My elliptical machine timer maximum setting is 99 minutes and when it times out I jump off, do the fastest shoe change possible then jump back on and rest the time for another 99 minutes. It only takes me about 30 seconds to change shoes so I don't loose my momentum.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options

I use two pairs of running shoes and run backwards every so often to combat the numbness. My elliptical machine timer maximum setting is 99 minutes and when it times out I jump off, do the fastest shoe change possible then jump back on and rest the time for another 99 minutes. It only takes me about 30 seconds to change shoes so I don't loose my momentum.

holy cow! I pretty much only run on the road, and run 4x a week and sundays run 6 miles. I'm training to run a 1/2 marathon. I think its all mental. So if you can run 2 hours on a treadmill ( when all there is to look at is..time) you will do JUST fine mentally telling your knees they are ok. running outdoors is amazing. So much easier on your brain, because then you just run for your body. on a treadmill you tend to watch that clock. This is how i am any way...and I am ADD. =)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    As far as road running vs machine running...machine running is easier because there aren't any hills...but a physical therapist and several other more experienced runners I know all say that machines are actually worse on your knees. Not sure why, though. Just make sure if you do hit the roads that you have the right shoe for your foot. We have a running store here in town that does free gait analysis and fits you to the perfect shoe for your foot. As soon as I got good shoes, my knee problems went away almost immediately!!
  • biellas
    biellas Posts: 39
    Options
    That's awesome Chuck! I do my running on the elliptical too. So far the longest I've gone is 1h 45 mins. I only have one pair of running shoes but use some of the same tricks like going backwards to give my feet a break. I wish I knew what my distance was...I have a Proform and it only shows the distance in rpm or total rotations.

What do you do to keep yourself focused or fight boredom?
  • Chuck1963
    Options
    That's awesome Chuck! I do my running on the elliptical too. So far the longest I've gone is 1h 45 mins. I only have one pair of running shoes but use some of the same tricks like going backwards to give my feet a break. I wish I knew what my distance was...I have a Proform and it only shows the distance in rpm or total rotations.

What do you do to keep yourself focused or fight boredom?

I watch movies to fight the boredom.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Inspirational....
  • keepkickingbutt
    keepkickingbutt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That is SO AWESOME!!!! An inspiration to us all! Keep up the amazing work!
  • chica1971
    chica1971 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi there!!
    I have just joined this site and joined purely based on this post. I am training to run a full 42km marathon on an elliptical this October to raise money for charity. I ran 17.7km last weekend.... been training for a couple of months now. I was interested in your strategies for avoiding foot numbness..... never thought of changing shoes!! I'd love to know how you are going with your elliptical training now!
    Cheers
    Cathy
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!