I need a bit of general reassurance

Options
I've been reading quite a few threads and I identify with what a lot of people have said. I realise I'm probably going over some very well trodden ground, but I just want the assurance that what I am doing now is right, or if it isn't any suggestions that you think could help.

What I should say:

About 4 years ago, I topped the scales at 110kg (242.5lb). Over the past few years, without consciously trying (but moving country and having a lifestyle change), I've lost and put on weight, but usually bounce between 98kg - 100kg (216lb - 220.5lb), with a BMI of 32.

I've started this journey very suddenly three weeks ago when someone (who honestly cares and has no ill will towards me) pointed out that I wasn't too dissimilar in body size to a mutual friend who has lost a LOT of weight (over 3 years) and has had to have surgery to remove excess skin. I've always wanted to lose weight, but didn't think I could do it, or that it only worked for other people (even though I've never fully committed to it before). The thought of surgery frightens me deeply.

I launched into this weighing 98kg almost immediately and was very ill advised. I limited my daily calorie intake to 1000 calories a day and pretty militantly stuck to it. I lost 5 kg in 2.5 weeks. At about this time, I discovered myfitnesspal and started poking around the site. Because I couldn't back date my progress, I put in my current weight, but back dated my meals for a couple of days. I figured it was the weekly calorific intake that was most important, so the first day's calories are an incomplete combination of two days' food - just to give me a rough idea. After the 7th March, I've increased my calorie intake to between 1200 - 1330 (as recommended).

I am also addicted to my scale. 5 times a day minimum. I know that this isn't helpful or healthy. I also know that I've probably put my body into starvation mode and it's probably recovering. I also know the first 10lb (5kg) is the easiest to lose, and now the long haul begins. The thing is that after seeing the weight drop off so fast in the first couple of weeks, it's frustrating to see it slow down or increase in a day. And although I don't struggle to keep to my daily goal, I do worry that I'm not getting enough vitamins and minerals (as indicated in the food report). Even when I decided that this week was veggie week, I'm mostly only hitting 20% of the vitamin A, Iron and Calcium targets.

I am grateful that while I'm not losing weight, it has stabilised at about 94kg - and I haven't been this weight in about 18 months or so. I am not as hungry or obsessed with food and what I'm going to be eating next as I was before joining this site. I feel like I've made the right decision, and I feel more confident in my ability to stick with it.

I am worried I might lose heart if I get stuck at this weight for too long (I'll give it another week). Initially, I aimed my goal to reach 85kg (187.4lb), but then realised that I might as well go the whole way and aim for a healthy BMI which would be 75kg (165.3lb). I would like to achieve this by September - which *should* be doable, set backs included.

I do have an active membership at the gym but rarely use it. I went through two 'spurts' where I used the gym for 6 week stretches (without dieting). I did enjoy it, but found that it made me *incredibly* hungry, and at best, my weight would level off at 97.5kg. I'm worried that if I go to the gym again, I will become ravenous again, and eat myself out of the benefits.

Am I doing the right thing, or should I change something?
:smile:

Replies

123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you one thing for certain, 1000 calories is NOT enough. I say, up those calories without thinking twice about it, get active at that gym as much as you can and start taking your measurements once a week. It may take your body a few weeks to adjust but do not get discouraged. You have quite the journey ahead of you and if you lose heart this easily, it's never going to work. So just to be clear, right now you weigh about 205? How tall are you and what is your age?
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Sounds like your doing great but with the gym, I would say use your membership. Log you exercise and MFP will allow you to eat those calories back which has work for many people on this site. I am currently in the same boat as you stuck around that 10lb weight loss and want to be down 40lbs total by Sept.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I am glad to see that you have increased your caloric intake to above 1200. I hope you are using MFP to it's fullest ability by plugging all of your info and letting it help you set your goals. My recommendations to you are: eat several (4-6) times a day, watch your sodium intake (try to avoid processed foods!), limit white flour and white sugar, drink lots of water, and get out there and exercise at least 2x a week. I understand that exercising makes you hungry, but if you plan your daily meals with that in mind, you can eat after you exercise; plus you should be eating back at least 1/2 of your exercise calories anyway, which means you get to eat more when you exercise! Stick with it and you can reach your goal!!!! Good luck to you!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Having been at this for almost 3 years now, I have to say that getting control of your weight is more a matter of patience and persistence than people are usually taught. Think about it - how reasonable is it to expect your body to shed weight at a consistently high rate after years of being overweight? It just doesn't usually work out that way. But *in the long run* it WILL work out if you maintain a reasonable/sensible calorie deficit through good nutrition and exercise.

I actually lost weight too quickly at first - figured that out when I started losing HAIR as well as fat!!! It's not worth it!!!

If there's a formula for healthy permanent weight loss I'd say it's: exercise + discipline + nutrition + PATIENCE.

Don't get discouraged if your "weight" doesn't drop as quickly or as consistently as you'd like. Focus on being healthy and the weight will come off as it should. Your body has its own individual needs that your mind may not realize. If it takes time, it takes time. If you're concentrating on improving your health for the rest of your life, it's worth the time.

When I first started to try to get my weight under control, I was 215 pounds and thought it would be a miracle if I could just get down to 160. Sometimes I lost quickly, sometimes I didn't. Along the way I learned to love the exercise and the new food choices, and to trust my body to get better and better.

I now weigh 120 pounds and look younger than I did 10 years ago. I'm healthy and happy. Can't ask for more!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary. Even though you are eating 1300 or so calories, you aren't eating that much. Try eating lower calorie foods such as veggies (broccoli, carrots, green leaf lettuce, celery, cucumbers, squash), fresh fruits, plain Greek yogurt (can be sweetened by adding your own fruit and a pack of sweetener), whole grain breads, quinoa, strings cheese (softer, white cheeses are lower calorie and lower fat), low carb whole grain tortillas filled with things like chicken, eggs, salsa, cheese)....When you choose lower calorie foods you would be surprised how much more you can eat. Also, I don't see anything in your exercise diary. Are you exercising and not recording it? You should exercise long enough to raise your heart rate for at least 30 minutes, a minimum of 3 times a week. Use your gym membership. Also, drink more water...that is super important. Make sure you are getting a minimum of 8-8 ounce glasses a day. Make sure with exercise that your net calorie intake is no lower than 1200 calories...so if you start at 1200, exercise 400, you need to eat 400 extra so your net calorie intake is at least 1200. When I stopped eating at least 1200 calories a day I stopped losing weight. As soon as I raised my calories, the weight started coming back off. Remember, this is a learning process. I still have questions nearly every day and worry I am doing something wrong. It is so nice to be able to come to a place like this and ask questions and get advice and support back within minutes. Don't get frustrated. You can do this. You are doing a good job....keep it up!
  • sibz2u
    sibz2u Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I wasn't expecting replies so quickly. Honestly, this isn't as hard as I expected it to be. If I made it through those first two weeks, I *KNOW* I can do it consistently. Recently I've even been finding it hard to go over 1000 calories (I just feel bloated), but I've been pushing myself. I snack regularly on fruit and today was the first time I've had white bread cheese and ham since I started (I thought I'd treat myself).

I'm not doing this for body image. I actually believe I look good most of the time (we all have days). While I don't go to the gym, I walk 40 mins to work and back (20mins each way) and go for 1.5 hour strolls in the park over the weekend (most weekends). This is why my daily recommended amount is 1330 and not 1200. I try budget my calories to 300 for main meals and then another 300 - 400 for snacks like tea, fruit etc.

I'm doing this because while I feel healthy and fit enough to enjoy life now (I'm turning 30 in a few weeks), I know that it's natural to put on weight as we grow older and I don't want to end up being 110 - 120 in another twenty years. I thought NOW was the best time to get into good habits and put in place preventative measures. I do not want to be Kate Moss. I've been big all my life - since about 8 or so. I am quite comfortable with my body size, but it's more the health warnings over my BMI that I'm worried about - hence the focus on weight.

While I appreciate I came across as wanting to 'give up', that is NOT the case. I want to be healthier - and I believe what I'm doing NOW is healthier than what I was doing two weeks ago. But then I also believed what I was doing two weeks ago WAS healthy. I just want confirmation that this time I am on the right track. The weight obsession is linked to BMI rather than body image. But thanks though, I do appreciate the encouragement. I'm 174cm and currently 94.5kg (I haven't logged this today - I thought I'd wait till next week before logging my weight again).

With water - I agree, I do find it hard to drink that much water. But when I have a cup of tea, I don't log that in as water intake. Should I? I know coffee dehydrates you, so it's pointless logging that.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If there's a formula for healthy permanent weight loss I'd say it's: exercise + discipline + nutrition + PATIENCE.

That's awesome! (Would you mind if I borrow it for my signature?) :smile:
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    With water - I agree, I do find it hard to drink that much water.

I know it's hard to drink a lot of water when you aren't used to it, but it really is important. And tea, coffee, other drinks don't count. Also, you may want to start tracking your sodium. I love Subway too but when I started tracking my sodium, I was SHOCKED at how much sodium is in their sandwiches. And since you appear to eat there a lot, you are going to want to know that info as well. That also makes it doubly important to drink plenty of water.

Good luck!!
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I find it reassuring to know that I'm not on a diet or trying to lose a lot of weight. I just plug in the day's food and try to keep it around the recommended allowance. I'd rather do it like this and weigh less several months from now, than do it any other way and have the scale rule my life. Slow and steady wins the race. Sometimes I feel down about tracking my meals for the rest of my life. Then I read the forums and realise that this is the way for me to be healthy. I can't do it on my own or blindly. I have to do it with my eyes open, gradually, and there is no 'end'. I hope you find this reassuring also.

If you do it gradually, the chance of needing surgery lessens, also.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    With your stats I honestly don't think 1200 is enough. If it's being healthy you are concerned about, I think it would be better to try to aim between 1500-1600 (and even that's pretty low.)
  • sibz2u
    sibz2u Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    With your stats I honestly don't think 1200 is enough. If it's being healthy you are concerned about, I think it would be better to try to aim between 1500-1600 (and even that's pretty low.)

Ok. Just that with all of my stats factored in, MFP has said 1330 should be my daily goal. I do go over it occasionally (so far this week) but so far I find it enough to go over 1200. I don't feel bad about going over it because my base rate is 1700 calories, apparently. I know that would equate to a PJ day in bed watching movies, rather than an amble through the park. So I'm not sure if taking it up to 1600 would be best. Do bear in mind that I want to lose 20kg, not another 5.

If I can do that in 7 months great. If it takes 18, oh well. Time passes anyway. But I would like to lose most of it in time to see my parents again. (I haven't seen them since I was 110kg 4 years ago and they're coming in September - October).

Regarding sodium - I've never gone over the daily limit/goal (although I came pretty close one day). I am aiming to drink more water but pre-diet I almost never drank water at all. It's a good point though. I hadn't thought of the impact of salt. Thanks. I will re-double my efforts. :)