Sabotaging myself

Options
I have a lifelong problem that has absolutely contributed to my current weight problem. I am able to stay within my goal calories throughout the day without much of a problem. However, after I've gone to bed I seem to be "programmed" to wake up throughout the night and while in that sleepy daze I go into the kitchen and eat. I am aware of what I'm doing, but for some reason I don't stop myself. It may be healthy food, maybe not, but regardless it puts me over my calories for the day and is sabotaging my weight loss.

Does anyone else have this kind of problem? Any suggestions for de-programming myself to wake up? I really do want to get this weight off so I can't understand why I do this to myself . HELP!!!!:embarassed:

Replies

• nkteach
    nkteach Posts: 41
    Options
    I have a similar problem, but not in the middle of the night. Its more right before bed! A trick I used before my wedding (and should go back to)....right after dinner brush your teeth and use a teeth whitening strip (haha!) I know it sounds silly, but this was before my wedding. But it worked for me!!!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    If you are doing it every or nearly every night then I'd save some calories to act as a buffer. You do need to know more or less how many calories you are consuming to do this but I'd have thought you leave enough evidence to tot up the totals

EDIT

Don't keep unhealthy high cal stuff in the house, avoid carbs 6 hours before bed (many people sleep better) and if you are in only a semi conscious state when doing it I'd fit window alarms to the cupboards and fridge that sound a loud piercing alarm...might wake you enough to stop you actually munching.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Well if I were you, I would just make sure you only keep healthy snacks like fresh fruit, veggies, unsalted almonds, low cal yogurt, etc so when you do get up hungry, it will be healthy eating. I love kashi cereals so they are crunchy and very filling with the high fiber and protein. How many calories are you eating during the day? Are you getting in your calories? Drink lots of water too because this keeps you from being so hungry. Hope this helps~ Good luck~
  • tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound silly, but it works for me. Leave enough calories for a 100-200 cal. snack before bed (1-2hrs).
    Print out a clip art stopsign and put it on your fridge handle right before bed. It is just a visual reminder that should get your attention.

Also put a piece of paper with your goal and the question, will this hinder me reaching my goal.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    when you wake up instead of grabbing food, go onto MFP and read success stories! That's what I do when I am about to have a bad moment!
  • danlyn
    danlyn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My problem is not before bed or during the night. My problem is eating to much junk. I tell me self everyday no junk today, but I hit lunch and just need chocolate.. It's horrible and if I don't have something sweet it just keeps bugging me until I give in....